Financial Report on more than one period

lando
2007-10-05
2013-05-02
  • lando
    lando
    2007-10-05

Hi,

I'm starting to study the Financial Report. It's quite easy to make fantastic stuff but i've got a question about periods.
    We must select only one period.

In fact, i would like to have a report based on several period (3, 6 or 12).
    Do I have to create a lot of columns to have the correct information, or is there a smart way to tell ComPiere that i would like to select more than one period to create a report.

Thanks,

LC

• Kathy Pink
      Kathy Pink
      2007-10-05

you need to define a separate col for each period using the relative period field to determine which period to display

• ADAXA
      ADAXA
      2007-10-06

Try creating an additional calendar, say "quarterly" with period 1, 2, 3 and 4 each containing 3 months, then choose that calendar in the report.

• lando
      lando
      2007-10-08

Hi,

So i've try the "additional calendar" solution, but it didn't work.
      I got a lot of errors when creating it.
      And when i create the report using this calendar, i got an empty report...

I think it is impossible to have 2 calendars in the same entity which cover sames periods.

I will now try to define a lot of colums (one for each period).

LC

• lando
      lando
      2007-10-08

I did it :>

I create a report which cover 3 period (=3 months).
      But it's quite hard to do, and it is not practical.

What a shame that we can't define a column who can refer to a range of periods...

Thanks,

Regards,

LC

• lando
      lando
      2007-10-08

Yes, i did it, but i still have a *little* problem...

In fact, at the end of my financial report, i got 2 colums which sums all the columns of the year : one for debit, one for credit.

If an account is also in debit and credit, it is in the 2 columns.
      But i would like to put it in only one colums. Those of the position of the account (debit or credit).

I don't find how to do this.

Is it possible ?

Thanks,

LC

• ADAXA
      ADAXA
      2007-10-08

(1) "So i've try the "additional calendar" solution, but it didn't work.  I got a lot of errors when creating it. And when i create the report using this calendar, i got an empty report"

I just tried this in Gardenworld in 263 and it worked fine.  I am sure it worked in earlier versions also.
      Create the new Calendar as Quarterly
      Create the 4 periods as Q1 1/1/2003 to 31/3/2003  .... Q4 1/10/2003 to 31/12/2003
      Create a Report Column Set with 4 columns  (selecting for each...Actual, Period Balance, Relative Period, and relative period numbers between 0 and -3.
      Create a Report format using this column set and some income statement line set.
      With the application server running go to "Update Accounting Balances", select recreate data and run.
      Run your new report deselecting the update balances option (never select this! do it from the above menu option instead - change it in the report parameters (as System) so it defaults to N and is not displayed)

I posted 4 journals with debits to the salary account and credits to other accounts and the the quarterly P&L showed exactly what I expected in those accounts for each quarter.

(2) "If an account is also in debit and credit, it is in the 2 columns.
      But i would like to put it in only one colums. Those of the position of the account (debit or credit). " 
      An alternative option is .. in the Report Column Definition select the "Amount Type" of Period Balance for P&L accounts reports and "Total Balance" for Balance Sheet reports.. this subtracts the credits from the debits to give a net figure. Not sure if this answers your question or not but note that the sum of the debits and the sum of the credits IN ONE ACCOUNT will not mean a lot in Compiere because some transactions like reversals will be posted as -debit and -credit. Some users have changed the accounting posting rules so this does not happen.

(3) "What a shame that we can't define a column who can refer to a range of periods..."
      You can, create the 3 columns then do column arithmetic (Column Type = Calculation) to add the required columns.

regards..

ps .. have you purchased the user documentation from Compiere Inc?

• lando
        lando
        2007-10-09

Hi Adaxa,

Thanks for your answer, i manage to do it !
        In fact, i was using a modified version ; and i try again on a basic one (261), and it workfs fine !

As you say, presenting the sum of the debits/sum of the credits in one column will not mean a lot in ComPiere but for accounting people it will... as you suggest, i will try to modify the posting rules, to see what it is.

Yes, i got the doc and i read it (not entirely, but progressively, piece by piece).

You say that we had better not to use the update balances option for a new report. Why ?
        I thought this only update some fields in the DB. Does it do more ???

Thanks,

regards

LC

• lando
      lando
      2007-10-10

Hi again,

So i've produce some reports based on two different calendars and they give the same amounts. That's great !
      According to you, what is the best practice ?
      - using two calendars which cover the same year (one for working, one for reporting)
      - using one calendar and create a lot of columns for reporting.

Is it possible to do the same for the lines ? i mean create a line which cover a lot of accounrs without creating a line per account ?

Thanks

LC

• ADAXA
      ADAXA
      2007-10-11

"You say that we had better not to use the update balances option for a new report."
      speed .. and see bug
      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1648381&group_id=29057&atid=410215

"According to you, what is the best practice ?
      (a)- using two calendars which cover the same year (one for working, one for reporting)
      (b)- using one calendar and create a lot of columns for reporting."
      I would not use (b) unless I could not get (a) to work (or unless I had a parent company with a different financial year end date)

"Is it possible to do the same for the lines ? i mean create a line which cover a lot of accounts without creating a line per account ?"
      If you select a summary account in the line definition the value will include all accounts that "belong" to that summary account.  The Report Line can have Multiple Report Source records.

• lando
      lando
      2007-12-18

Hi,

Im back :-)
      I would like to know if it is possible to have a financial report which can onl present business partners which are only customers ?

On the "line type", if i select businness partner, i can select just one bpartner or all of them.
      It's not even possible to select a business partner group.

Is there a tip to do this ?

Thanks,

regards,

LC

• ADAXA
      ADAXA
      2007-12-21

Try putting an account filter on the column so the column only brings back sales values then you should not need to worry about the customer flag.

See Compiere version 3 as I understand there is a worked example of this in it. 
      If you use this account filter on columns you may find it only works if you use 'real' accounts not summary accounts.