Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Standard Costing: What is the cost price

Q Wang
2007-03-12
2013-05-02
  • Q Wang
    Q Wang
    2007-03-12

I am using 252d still.
    Standard costing is setup in the accounting schema as the costing method.  Does anybody know how the current cost price is calculated when a shipment or receipt is complete? Thanks! Q

• Enrique Ruibal
      Enrique Ruibal
      2007-03-12

Current Cost = Standard Cost, as per default configuration

I think if You are using an older version, you set that up Window/Product Tab/Costing in newer versions that has been change to Window/Product Costs.

Hope this helps

Enrique Ruibal

• Q Wang
        Q Wang
        2007-03-12

Thank you very much Enrique.  That is what I guessed.  What I did is that I created a new base purchase price list version due to foreign currency rate change, so the new version has a higher standard cost for the product.  Then I ran the Performance Analysis => Product Cost Update process to update the product's standard cost using the new price list version.  After this is done, the new standard cost has been used to calculate PRODUCT ASSET when shipment is completed.  However, at the database level when I ran the query

"SELECT CURRENTCOSTPRICE, COSTSTANDARD
        FROM M_PRODUCT_COSTING
        WHERE AD_CLIENT_ID = 1000000"

both prices are zero.  I am wondering which data field does the calculation pick up as the current cost price for the posting purposes of the shipment/receipt.  It seems the posting is correct, but the PRODUCT COSTS=>Costing (Old) window is confusing.

Q

• ADAXA
      ADAXA
      2007-03-12

"Does anybody know how the current cost price is calculated when a shipment or receipt is complete?"

After the STANDARD COST is set in the system then nothing should change the recorded cost value manually changing or invoking a process designed to change it. As I remember in 252d the cost could be set for you by a PO or a vendor invoice if you had not manually set a std cost.

regards..

• ADAXA
      ADAXA
      2007-03-12

oops
      After the STANDARD COST is set in the system then nothing should change the recorded cost value _EXCEPT_ manually changing .......

• Q Wang
        Q Wang
        2007-03-12

"After the STANDARD COST is set in the system then nothing should change the recorded cost value _EXCEPT_ manually changing ....... "

Thank you adaxa...My understanding is that the standard cost is associated with a purchase price list version, and the PRODUCT COST UPDATE process allows the current cost price to be changed to the standard cost of the version specified (at least once as I tested).  However, when I tried to apply the older price list version, the process did not work - the standard cost of the newer price list version has been used to calculate the product asset and no change in product costing window.

Is this a bug of 252d?  How is the costing features improved in newer release?  I am considering to use 260 but not sure how stable it is...

Q

• ADAXA
      ADAXA
      2007-03-12

"Is this a bug of 252d? How is the costing features improved in newer release? I am considering to use 260 but not sure how stable it is... "

Standard cost is associated with a purchase price list version only in the sense that Compiere lets you set the std cost from that .. and also gives you other choices. If you import and pay duty and freight then it is unlikely your std cost would be the same as the purchase price list. 

I can not remember how all this worked in 252d.  The standard costing in 260c has not caused me any trouble.  I think it is likely to be improved over 252d because Compiere did a lot of work in the costing area.

Why don't you install on a test systema nd enter some test transactions?

regards..

• Q Wang
      Q Wang
      2007-03-16

Thank you very much adaxa...setting up a testing system is a good idea.  I will try to do it. Q