Menu

Fyracle on Linux?

2004-07-19
2013-05-02
  • Mr Mckinsey

Mr Mckinsey - 2004-07-19

Anyone tried Fyracle on Linux? But only 250b version is available at present.

Removing Oracle database-limitation will lead Compiere to real success as Hosting model is realistic by then.

• Michael Judd

Michael Judd - 2004-07-19

Yep - I'm having a go at the moment - based on 251d.  I've got the demo going fine (fedora core 2/64bit) and I'm tinkering with a few extensions etc.

I'll let you know how it goes when we've completed a full evalution.  You can contact me direct on michael.judd@jaztek.co.uk.

Mike

• Mr Mckinsey

Mr Mckinsey - 2004-07-20

Great!

I've two questions:
      a. But why based on 251d, the "limited production" version?
      b. Any migration consideration?

Cheers!

Mckinsey

• mbeale

mbeale - 2004-07-23

Maybe I am an idiot, but what is Fyracle?

• Tiberiu ATUDOREI

• Alin Vaida

Alin Vaida - 2004-07-28

Have you been able to make this work on linux?
        I keep getting this error from the jdbc driver:

org.firebirdsql.ngds.InternalError: FirebirdApiBinding::Initialize - Could not find or load the firebird client library.
        at org.firebirdsql.ngds.GDS_Impl.nativeInitilize(Native Method)
        at org.firebirdsql.ngds.GDS_Impl.attemptToLoadAClientLibraryFromList(GDS_Impl.java:119)

The libfbclient.so provided is in place (/usr/lib) and it's accessible, but from a previous experience with this driver, it seems that GDS_Impl only tries to load fbclient.dll or the first library in LIST_OF_CLIENT_LIBRARIES_TO_TRY[].

Thanks,
        Alin

• elwiz

elwiz - 2004-07-31

I must be stupid, or this is very much alfa software, I can't get it to run on any OS at all, I only recieve JDBC errors when running the setup script :(

• Ramiro Vergara

Ramiro Vergara - 2004-07-31

Compiere is in production in about 200 or 300 sites. Oracle is the only database currently supported, everything else is just experimental, including Firacle.

Ramiro

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-08-11

200 or 300 production sites? With all due respect, no way I can believe that. As a matter of fact, there is no evidence of how many sites are actually using compiere as a 'production site.' For example, Fyracle's home page  says that compiere "has been downloaded over half a million times and is in active production use at over 50 locations." Which is certainly a more truthful figure but that I believe still overinflated.
        I tried Compiere and at the end I was impressed about the architecture and design but disappointed about performance and actual costs. Most of all, about the limited vision of Compiere's business model.  If you compare Compiere to other OS projects like MySQL or JBoss, which are more focused on satisfying their potential market base without complicating things more than necessary (like for instance telling their potential users that if they want other backend options 'you are at your own'), then you realize that Compiere's hype will not last too much unless a new business approach is tried. Maybe Oracle finally buy Compiere and things get really smooth after all.

• elwiz

elwiz - 2004-08-01

Of course, Compiere doesn't seem to be alfa software, I was refering to Fyracle.
      I hope they will be able to fix it, Oracle is nice, but consumes a lot of resources and is not free.
      (and I don't have that many machines with the muscles to run Oracle at home, and i definietly want to experiment with compiree so.. ;)

• Bango

Bango - 2004-08-10

Hi,

I tried iFyracle on Windows XP and also got the same error message as Alin Vaida. I might have added another complication by working on Windows. Does anyone ever get it working on Windows?

• Ramiro Vergara

Ramiro Vergara - 2004-08-11

Yes, I do believe is an accurate estimation but I admit is only an estimation based on surveys I have done in the past.

As far as your other comments, I guess that is the beauty of FOSS, you are free (as in freedom) to go if you believe you should not be part of a particular community or stay and share.

Good Luck.

Ramiro

• Mr Mckinsey

Mr Mckinsey - 2004-09-23

Can anybody give out list of distributed release verified against Fyracle?