Community migration

2012-09-01
2013-05-02
  • ismet sener
    ismet sener
    2012-09-01

Hi compeire users,

I have compeire 3.3 running, I am very satisfied. But Now I want to to migrate to compiere 3.3,  but this is NOT possibel without the migration tool. this tool is only available if you have a support contract.
    For support contract you ned minimal  10 licensec of 400 USD each, so USD 4.000 per year,
    For me this is too much, I have a company with only 1 user. If it was possible to take a contract for just 1 license, I will have no problem  with USD 400,- a year.

Now this suppose to be OpenSource software, BUT i am literally Stucked with this version, I cannot go to a newer version where a lot problems are solved.

I am thinking to start again with OpenBravo (looks like compiere)  or even to start again with a commercial ERP/Accounting software where i have to pay license.

SO  I AM BECAUSE   of COMPIERE     VERYYYYYY  DISSAPOINTED  about OPenSource.
    Thanks compiere.

If someone knows about a way to migrate from 3.3 to 3.3 without the migration tool,  please inform me

• ismet sener
    ismet sener
    2012-09-01

Sorry, I mean I use now compeire 3.3  and I want to migrate to 3.3

• ismet sener
    ismet sener
    2012-09-01

Sorry, I mean I use now compeire 3.2  and I want to migrate to 3.3

• ADAXA
    ADAXA
    2012-09-01

Why not use ADempiere?

• ismet sener
    ismet sener
    2012-09-01

functionality  the same as Openbravo or Compiere?
    do they have a migration tool from compiere to adempiere

• MZI
    MZI
    2012-09-14

ADempiere has at least same range if not more…
    you can check it at http://www.testadempiere.com.

There was a migration tool from older version of Compiere, but you can try to ask at adempiere forum , they are many developers prepared to help.

• Redhuan D. Oon
    Redhuan D. Oon
    2012-11-28

Both Openbravo and ADempiere are forks of Compiere. This proves how remarkable Compiere is, or was. And how important Freedom is. To choose to be part of the solution or part of the problem that is.

This is the great promise of Open Source or Freedom software. You can never get stuck. You can always follow a trail of migrating from wherever you are to wherever you want to go. Provided you take the freedom of code rather than free beer approach. That was the ADempiere fork promise.

So it is not necessary to blame anything here particularly the source of our freedom ERP which is Compiere (karma bless its soul).

I first followed this project in 2003, paid the USD8,000 membership fee that time and found it can be beefed up with more community help which i gave via http://red1.org. Today i moved on with more not just freedom to code myself but ability to give much more back to the community that once was and has gone places with this in a more technical core of http://www.idempiere.com

I found the best of the best ERP developers among the community here (which freedom also provide you with - a community) and it is a living one. Meaning we can still rock. I can now still ask you out there to discuss back what steps can we take to do something marvelous - to consolidate back the code and the community. Please share here your ideas and be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

At the moment we see the present or future as the example by Linus Torvalds in the Linux approach of GitHub where Linus code is his alone and others are forks of it. He has a circle of clones he trust and take from and that circle spreads outwards. (see http://www.pcworld.com/article/149418/linus_torvalds_project.html).

Thus the iDempiere variant of Compiere today which is an OSGi core of an ERP horizontal with plugins of vertical solutions or apps on top of it can be the magic cauldron or the natural state of what true ERP software can be.

What do you think?
    Kind regards
    red1