why inventory move doesn't reserve qty?

lavino
2009-04-25
2013-05-02
  • lavino
    lavino
    2009-04-25

I was talking to a guy who worked with ERP for 20+ years.  He was under the impression that when you do an inventory move it will reserve the qty of the inventory for you (so noone can touch it or sell it) and until the move is completed (or cancelled) then release the reservered qty.   The guy was shocked that Compiere doesn't do that.    So how do we properly represent a case that you move some machinery from one city to another that will take about 7 days on train?  In these 7 days, Compiere is giving the wrong impression to everyone that these machines are still available in city A and fully available for sale or something.  If these stuffs takes about 6 months to build then someone sold one by mistaken will have some huge consequences...

Inventory move should reserve the qty no matter the move takes 5 min to 5 days imo.   Personally I regard this is a huge feature issue... Does compiere have any solid plan to fix in near future?  I am not the only person complaining about this... everyone I bump into saying this is really a issue for them.

• ERP Dunce
      ERP Dunce
      2009-04-25

Being 'shocked' and regarding something as a"huge feature issue" is not designed to encourage people to help you.  I have been involved with the design, development and implementation of ERP systems for much longer than your friend and I find that there are generally ways to resolve what appear to be "huge feature issues".

Has your friend ever thought of using 'in transit' warehouses and locking those warehouses down to prevent certain transaction types?

Maybe not the best way of doing things but worth exploring.

• Kathy Pink
      Kathy Pink
      2009-04-27

The inventory move confirmation is used to incorporate delays in the move being completed