Just installed Comix, cannot view .cbr

Help
2009-04-29
2013-05-23
  • This is my second day with Ubuntu, so please bear with me: I installed Comix, it appears in the Applications / Graphics Menu; I also installed unrar-free from the Synaptic Package Manager. So that's that.

Now, if I double click a .cbr file, it opens Ciomix, only to have it immediately close after a second, if I open Comix, and then load a file it will open, but the thumbnail navigator and the main window just show a template image of a film frame in black.

What Can I do? I am using the most recent distro of Ubuntu, and this problem happens, both in a laptop and a desktop.

Thanks

• Doki
      Doki
      2009-04-30

Can you run it from a terminal to get more details?
      To open a terminal : Accessories>Terminal
      Then type: comix
      then hit return.
      Comix should popup, then try to open an archive untill it crash, and finally post a new message here containing the log from terminal.

• Just ran Comix from the terminal, and it did load, same as if I had selected it from the Apps Menu; it only crashes when I double click a .cbr file.

So apart from the crash, the problem still is if I open Comix, and then load a file it will open, but the thumbnail navigator and the main window just show a template image of a film frame in black.

• Doki
        Doki
        2009-05-01

Yes I knew it will crash even if you ran it from a terminal ^^
        The point was you to bring back to us the messages you get from the terminal! they can be very helpfull!

• Pontus Ekberg
      Pontus Ekberg
      2009-05-01

What version of Comix are you using? You should also use the "unrar" package, not the "unrar-free" one (though it should never crash regardless).

• I just installed unrar, and removed unrar-free, and now everything works great.

1.) Doki, when I ran it from the terminal just as you suggested, it did not crash; therefore I did not post the message from the terminal.

2.) As for the version of Comix, it is 4.0.1.