Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Windows version (v4.0.4)

2010-03-06
2014-01-22
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-06

I've created an installer for Comix v4.0.4 - Have been tested on 3 computers and seem to work fine.

Download here

This have the complete windows GTK and pygtk included, so it's rather big (6mb download, 30mb installed) but should work on all windows systems since windows xp at least (probably win2k too, and maybe win9x). unrar for windows is included, so it should be able to browse rar archives.

If there are any problems with it, please let me know.

• LtPinback
    LtPinback
    2010-03-10

I am testing it with Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Works fine only issue so far is that the spacebar do not scroll at all. No sure if this is related to the installer or the main program.

• LtPinback
    LtPinback
    2010-03-10

ok for some reason when I restarted the program I have lost the ability of loading up files.  You can navigate the computer fine but upon clicking the Open button no file is opened.  It only happens with the cbr files. pics and cbz work fine. So must be something unrar related.

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-10

Thanks for the feedback.

The space issue seem to pop up as a result of py2exe. And since py2exe + gtk already is a bit of voodoo, 6+

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-10

Bah, hit the wrong key…
    Hmm, no edit function?

Anyway, as I was saying, py2exe and GTK is a bit of dark magic, and I'm not sure I'll be able to fix it easily. It does work when being run as a normal python program.

Regarding rar, I haven't tested that much (only tried to open one file to see if it worked). It calls an external program in the background. Does it refuse to open all files after that, or just other rar files? Also, if you open the directory it was installed to, you should have a "comix.exe.log" - could you take a look there for anything suspicious, or email it to me?

• LtPinback
    LtPinback
    2010-03-10

the log file only have multiple instances of:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "comix.py", line 154, in <module>
      File "comix.py", line 144, in run
    UnboundLocalError: local variable 'fullscreen' referenced before assignment

I can open pics, cbz, zip but no cbr or rar files so it is definitively somenthing to do with the unrar (careful highly technical term coming)-> thingy . I add a 5% recovery record to all my rars (and thus cbrs) just in case it has something to do.

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-10

I found out the Space issue, it was a module that py2exe hadn't noticed should be included :) This should also fix various other keys not working (a bit weird that any of them actually worked..)

And I also *cough* fixed the logging so it actually logs stuff :)

I'll see if I can find out the rar issue too before making a new installer.

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-10

Hmm.. Can't seem to replicate the RAR problem, so got a few questions regarding it:

1. Could you open those files earlier?
    2. Are you using desktop or start menu shortcut to start comix?
    3. Is it a problem with all rar files or just a few?
    4. Do you have free space on the windows / temp drive? :)

• LtPinback
    LtPinback
    2010-03-10

1. Yes
    2. Start menu with target -> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Comix\comix.exe"
    3. As far as I can tell it happens with all rar and cbr
    4. I got 70Gb free on c: so

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-10

I updated the installer a bit. Fixed the spacebar issue, fixed a bit on the logging (it will now log to the comix settings directory), added translations folder (no idea if they work), and made a small change to the shortcuts (added working dir) that might have caused problems with rar.. Hard to say, as it works perfectly fine here.

• LtPinback
    LtPinback
    2010-03-10

Ok installed the new version and now everything seems to work fine……err except that it won't open files with special characters like "ö". But I think this must definitively be something to do with python 2.6 no supporting Unicode as default.

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-10

actually, python itself have rather good support for unicode (it have both ascii strings and unicode strings), so that shouldn't be a problem directly.. As a bonus I get no errors in the log either.. It's like the file doesn't exist. (usually python pops up a decode error in ascii / unicode error cases)

Does unicode filenames work in linux? I again suspect gtk, but it's hard to know for certain.

• LtPinback
    LtPinback
    2010-03-10

Well the file name do show up in the open windows and you can select it but no preview pic or info is displayed. Clicking open or double-clicking on it closes the window back to the main window but the comic does not appear.  Did you move the location of the log file? I cannot find it. I have no idea on Linux stuff. I renamed the file to change the ö -> o and it does work so it is definitively a character issue.

• LtPinback
    LtPinback
    2010-03-10

also doesn't seem to be storing recent file history. File -> Open recent -> No items found.
    There is an option in the preferences to switch this off but i got it checked to store recent file list.

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-10

The log file is now at %HOMEPATH%\Comix\comix-logfile.txt

Regarding the filename issue, when selecting a non-ascii file name, the return string from gtk is a garbled mess that I've yet to decode to something proper. It might be "mbcs" encoding, but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

The recent issue was because comix added "file://" to the start of the filename, which works under linux.. but not windows. "file:" seem to work, though.

I'll put up a new release when I've poked the filename thing a bit more, hopefully tomorrow

• Oddegamra
    Oddegamra
    2010-03-11

terrasque: From what I gather from the GTK docs, all strings returned from GTK function calls will be encoded in UTF-8. This isn't much of an issue on Linux, since most modern distributions ship UTF-8 as default encoding, but adds some difficulty on Windows. I've been working on a few Windows patches myself, and do think that the best solution would be to internally convert all strings to Unicode objects and then convert back where needed for native system calls. But then again, you'd likely face problems with rar/zip - it isn't entirely clear what encoding an archive might have used.

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-11

I tested with a file I named thus: Ed-209 øæå ö 日本語 .jpg

Result from GTK (as printed in console): Ed-209 ├©├ª├Ñ ├ µùѵ£¼Þ¬× .jpg
    Type of the return is str, not unicode. Neither utf8 nor mbcs can decode it into anything that even resembles the original filename.

• I have waited for this day to come, really.
    Comix is the only featurerich comic bookviewer which isn't a piece of bloatware and now it has actually arrived at Windows. Thank you very much for this!

But a few problems remain for me:
    I Use Comix v4.0.4-1 have Windows 7 64bit and can't open cbr/rar files directly via file association set to comix.exe, but it works if i open Comix and then open the file via the open dialog. My rar files all have %rr4 recovery, too. Maybe i am doing something wrong? I just click on the file then "Open with…" and choose comix, that's it.

The next problem would be uft8, because i mainly read japanese comics it's a huge issue for me, even with the "Language for Unicode-incompatibility programs", from the Regionoptions in windows(sry if that's wrong it's just a on-the-fly translation from german), set to japanese  it does not do the trick, well perhaps it would work if comix would be in ASCII/ANSI, but that's just wrong.
    By now i don't see a log file, perhaps Comix don't count "No Imgaes in 'Vol.01.cbr'" as an error.

And yes, the translations are working, if you set a environment variable like LANG=pl all gtk applications are now in Polish. Well perhaps i will translate it to german for me and make a bugreport about it.

I really would like to help with this but i don't have the Know How to actually do something useful, besides writing bugreports :D
    So i hope you continue this project, even with all those python/gtk Voodoo magic obstacles in the way.

Cheers

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-14

Sorry, haven't had a chance to work with it these last days.

Still stuck on the UTF issue, and I frankly don't know what to do with it.
    Does this problem also happen with utf files in archives?

• terrasque
    Sorry, haven't had a chance to work with it these last days.

Don't worry, there are more important things to do in life than just working on an imageviewer.

terrasque
    Does this problem also happen with utf files in archives?

Yes, i have tried various combinations and it happens if the path or the files inside the archive have japanese characters or umlauts and probably all the other non-ASCII characters. It's the same with ZIP files.

oddegamra
    Are those possibly files with non-ASCII-filenames?

No, i have renamed most of my files to ASCII compatible names like "Vol.01.cbr". I assume it has something to do with how comix.exe detects the UnRAR.exe, because the error is the same as if the UnRAR.exe is deleted  "No images in 'Vol.01.cbr'"(i have deleted the exe to test it). Rember it works if i open it via the open dialog from Comix. Perhaps the Workpath has something to do with it?

oddegamra
    One way to solve this problem is using libunrar.so/unrar.dll instead for handling rar files. The library provides Unicode path names to begin with, so there shouldn't be too many problems handling non-ASCII-filenames. This comes with the added benefit of somewhat speedier extraction and password handling for encrypted archives. Putting unrar.dll in the directory of comix.exe should be sufficient for it to be found.

I have downloaded unrar.dll from rarlab.com and placed it in the directory, well comix doesn't detect it so i can't open rar files even via the open dialog (i have deleted unrar.exe, just to make shure). Must Comix be recompiled for the use of unrar.dll? And thanks for the patches, although i can't do anything with it, i hope that it helps to remedy this issue.

One further option would be to take a look over at the Deluge-client for windows. As far as i know it is written in python/gtk, too and perhaps they have to workaround similar problems.

• Oddegamra
    Oddegamra
    2010-03-14

name=kazusan
    I have downloaded unrar.dll from rarlab.com and placed it in the directory, well comix doesn't detect it

Ah, yes, sorry. I was being unclear on that point. You'd need those patches I posted for this to work, Comix has no built-in support for it.

As for the other issue, I cannot really investigate since the entire source is byte-compiled and there doesn't seem to be any clear-text source around.

• Mikael Turøy
    Mikael Turøy
    2010-03-20

Sorry for not answering here, I've been really busy this last week, and it seems like the next 2 weeks will be the same.

I haven't had time to do much about the code, and sad to say I haven't had a chance to take a good look at oddegamra's patches (which does not apply cleanly due to changes ive done to the code).

I've put the current code up at http://vps.thelazy.net/~terra/comix_installer/comix-4.0.4.7z in case anyone else wants to have a look at it.

• mercifulhop
    mercifulhop
    2010-07-24

Hi, I've been using Comix on ubuntu and I really like it.

I've been wanting to put it on my new windows 7 computer, and I found this thread.

Unfortunately the files aren't found… Could someone please re-upload them somewhere?

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)