Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Why a new comic reader?

Guido
2005-08-10
2013-05-03
  • Guido
    Guido
    2005-08-10

Is it really necessary to write another one? Why not join another project? Improve existings ones?

Good question. I did not find any suitable for Linux. Some were written in Python others in JAVA. Generally nothing wrong with this. But I took them, tried to start them and crash. Or not crash but endless configuration orgies to get my JAVA classpathes right. Or everything worked fine, but the programs simply did not have the features I needed.

So really nothing suitable for Linux? No, that would be a lie, there is a great comic reader from which I took many 'inspirations' and which I used for month: qcomicbook (http://freshmeat.net/projects/qcomicbook)

But there is another reason I wanted to start a small easy to handle project. I wanted to learn the new features of the new Qt 4.0 lib. qcomicbook is Qt 3.x. And qcomicbook goes a different way than what I intend. qcomicbook is a great reader, but at least at the moment, nothing more. I want to do all my archive handling stuff in one program. Create archive from lists of images, delete images, rotate images, not only screen, but permanently in the archives, i.e. fix broken archives a much as possible. Then I want manage my archives in a database while I am reading. Hey, I read a comic and notice page x is missing. What do I do? Write down the number, the comic and enter this info later in the database? Stop reading, start a second application and enter the info there? Nope, must be one smooth action while reading, else my database would not be much worth. I simply would not have the discipline to used it as reliably as necessary.

So that is the reason to start yet another comic reader. And probably the reason why this project will survive. I have two reasons to do it. ;-)

• "I want to do all my archive handling stuff in one program. Create archive from lists of images, delete images, rotate images, not only screen, but permanently in the archives, i.e. fix broken archives a much as possible."

Okay. This is what i need too...

I wanna help but i have zero knowledge about programming. Sorry pal...

Keep up your good work. Hope somebody join you to develop this app, so it will be a mature project in no time.

thanks

• Guido
        Guido
        2007-07-02

> I wanna help but i have zero knowledge about programming. Sorry pal...

This is not a problem. There is plenty of stuff non-programmers could do.

1. Bug reports. Ok, I know many of the bugs, i.e. the program  usually crashed when I click almost any 'cancel' button. I was just too lazy to fix certain bug because I know them and they don't bother me. If I get feed back that there is someone out there, who really is bothered by a certain bug, it might give me the right incentive to fix it. Of course, bug fixing removes time from feature adding. :-)

2. In theory there could be some language help. You might have noticed, that most text in  this program is not very sophisticated. English is not my first language. Though if I really want to I can type some more or less correct text, I am a bit lazy to streamline my expressions, yet. The program is prepared to be internationalized. Replacing the current translation or adding translations is very easy. Currently all visible text is more or less only place holders for the time, when this program goes beta. The 'in theory' means that this is still a bit too early a language cleanup, but if you find some expressions, which read exceptionally silly.... ;-)

3, This program is terribly documented. My excuse is that it still is pre-alpha and many things are bound to change.  And they actually do from time to time. I think if someone really is interested, he can figure out most things by trial and error. However, if there are really features, which cannot be used without documentation I am willing to add at least a preliminary one. And maybe think about how I can make this feature more self-explaining.

4. Feature wishes, though there is still one pending, I am still open for new ideas. The open request is still open because I paused this project for quite some time and furthermore it is a feature, which I personally don't need. Those might take a bit longer. ;-)

> Keep up your good work. Hope somebody join you to develop this app, so it will be a mature project in no time. 

Up to now no patch was sent in. I'd put the names of the patch write in the 'about' screen. :-)