Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Exporting as COLLADA 1.5

Joe Graus
2009-06-18
2013-04-17
  • Joe Graus
    Joe Graus
    2009-06-18

Rather simple problem (at least I think it is), but I can't seem to get COLLADAMax_0.9.5.447_x64 to save as COLLADA 1.5. Every export attempt uses 1.4.1. Is there a way to change this behavior?

I'm using 3DS Max 2009 64bit on Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

• Robert Wuerfel
      Robert Wuerfel
      2009-06-19

Hi Joe,

currently COLLADAMax ( and COLLADAMaya, as well) does not support COLLADA 1.5. However, support for COLLADA 1.5 is planed to be added in future.
      Do you really require 1.5 COLLADA files? In the case of COLLADAMax they would only differ in the way textures are represented.
      Are you using a COLLADA import library that does not support COLLADA 1.4?

Robert

• Joe Graus
      Joe Graus
      2009-06-19

I'm actually using a custom library based off of colladadom (the library is used to turn COLLADA model files into a binary model type at the end of a asset pipeline for use in an engine). I recently got back into playing around with COLLADA after a brief hiatus and decided to update this custom library with the newest colladadom (v2.2). Seeing as I was rebuilding colladadom I figured I would roll it with DOM 1.5 instead of 1.4. Suffice to say, I've been searching for a 3DS Max exporter for DOM 1.5 ever since. I don't believe I can actually load COLLADA 1.4 files with this particular build (attempts to use a DAE object in colladadom 2.2 to open anything but COLLADA 1.5 files fail returning a NULL pointer, but works wonderfully with the test COLLADA 1.5 files included with the colladadom package).

Given that ColladaMax doesn't currently support 1.5 (and the fact I really don't need COLLADA 1.5 at this moment) I think I might roll back to my old library and archive this newer build until support is added. Unless of course you have another suggestion?

• Robert Wuerfel
        Robert Wuerfel
        2009-06-19

For COLLADAMax and COLLADAMaya we are developing a new, sax based COLLADA loader (OpenCOLLADA), that is used in the importer plug-ins. It is licensed under an MIT License and available at http://opencollada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opencollada/ .Currently , this import library only supports COLLADA 1.4, but in future it will support COLLADA 1.5, too, It will use the same data model for both versions of COLLADA. This will allow to load both COLLADA 1.4 and 1.5 files and handle them in your code in exactly the same way (at least the common part).

Besides this, there are some other advantages and disadvantages compared to  colladadom:

Advantages:
        - Much faster than colladadom
        - Much less memory consumption due to sax based approach ( only parts of the model are stored in memory, not the entire model)
        - Same data model for different versions of COLLADA

Disadvantages:
        - More difficult to work with, since the entire model is not stored in memory. Developer need to take care of the linkage of objects
        - Currently does not support 100% of COLLADA

Both, the COLLADAMax and COLLADAMaya can serve as good examples how to uses this library.

This could be a good alternative for you, especially if you plan to convert large models.

• Joe Graus
      Joe Graus
      2009-06-19

Hmm, I'm intrigued. I think I'll look into that. I basically want to be able to handle just about anything the designers can spit out of Max or Maya, so that could include large models (depending on their ambition). I do like the idea of interchangeable support for both COLLADA 1.4 and 1.5 (barring specification differences, understandably) so that I won't have to directly worry what pipeline tools support what version of COLLADA. I also don't mind the added complication of working with sax.

You might be hearing from me more as I run into new problems subsequently hehe. Thanks for the help.