Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Xming slow apps startup

Help
hmp
2009-07-11
2013-05-09
  • hmp
    hmp
    2009-07-11

I use Xming connected with ArchLinux/coLinux with TAP (Windows firewall disabled) and some programs start up very slowly - Emacs, for example, taking about 7 seconds to show the window (while emacs -nw starts instantly).
    Simpler ones, like xeyes or xterm, start without delay.
    No problems with responsiveness after the startup.
    Any idea what could be causing this?

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2009-07-11

Some applications uses a lookup of "hostname" for the Xserver.
      Write the ipaddress of windows side of TAP into the file /etc/hosts, for example:

192.168.0.1   windows   windows.nodomain

Don't set default route over the TAP device, Typically TAP installations does not have an outgoing way on Windows side. TAP is a separate network, so "gateway 192.168.0.1" in the networks configuration for TAP on Linux side is a typically error.

• hmp
      hmp
      2009-07-11

Thanks for suggestion, but the problem seems to be elsewhere - I have no gateway set, and the Windows side's hostname is in /etc/hosts.

What's strange - when I put my LAN IP in $DISPLAY, so that Linux connects through SLIRP and then (I think) through Windows loopback connection, Emacs starts with a noticeably shorter delay.