Dual Boot Ubuntu

Help
2006-11-09
2013-05-09
  • Michael Aars
    Michael Aars
    2006-11-09

Trying to get a working dual boot Ubuntu to work.  I have made all the adjustments to the
    /etc/?fstab?
    /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
    /etc/network/interfaces
    /etc/hosts.allow
    /etc/hostname

I also copied over the /lib/modules.

I made the scripts that use the -colinux and -standalone versions of the files and at boot time figure out which one is being used.  Now to my difficulty....According to gparted....I have three primary partitions (Windows XP pro, (Ubuntu, swap) ~10GB).  This is what I added to the ubuntu.xml for blocks.
        <block_device index="2" path="\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1" enabled="true" alias="hda2"/>   
    <block_device index="3" path="\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2" enabled="true" alias="hda3"/>
    And I add one for the cdrom but is not useful for now.  When I run colinux I get:

===========================================================================
    # This process will install (if necessary) the coLinux modules for the
    # coLinux kernel.
    ===========================================================================

Determining /, Found.
    Mounting /
    ReiserFS: cobd2: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on
    cobd2
    kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
    EXT3 FS on cobd2, internal journal
    EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
    EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
    Modules already installed.
    Closing /
    EXT3 FS on cobd2, internal journal
    EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
    VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem).
    Trying to move old root to /initrd ... okay
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 108k freed
    kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

And then the process hangs.  I am not sure if I am trying to mount the Windows partition or the Ubuntu.  The numbering is a little confusing. Is there a reliable way to know exactly how the Partitions of my system correspond with the the \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1 notation in the XML file.  I feel like I am just trying stuff now.  Do the Partitions start counting at 0 like the Harddisk(s)? 

I have the same problem when trying to boot into the original Debian 1GB image and try mounting the Ubuntu partition.  Although I must admit, I am a little green on mounting anyway. Automount is cool.  :D

I must be close cause Ubuntu claims that when I boot into it, it must check the filesystem which it did not do before.  ;D

Just not sure on how to proceed debugging this.  Thanks in advance.

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2006-11-28

You see no output, because the init process has no device for console.

You use and colinux kernel without udev support and you have no base devices null, tty, tty0, console in your /dev...

Boot an alternale linux, for sample knoppix,
      mount your hda2 and create this devices:

mknod dev/tty c 5 0
      mknod dev/tty0 c 4 0
      mknod dev/console c 5 1
      mknod dev/null c 1 3
      mknod dev/zero c 1 5

This has no negative effect for your native linux, because it will be "mount over" with runtime created udev in a shm.

An other way: Instal the latest snapshot with kernel 2.6.17, there udev and hotplug are enabled.

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2006-11-29

Think, you are on the right way.

Harddisk starts by 0
      Partition starts by 1 (not 0).
      Extended partitions are not counted under this style.

This is a typical layout with 4 primary partitions and 2 in the extend:
      \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1 is native hda1
      \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 is hda2
      \Device\Harddisk0\Partition3 is hda3
      hda4 is extended (for me) and not counted under windows
      \Device\Harddisk0\Partition4 is hda5
      \Device\Harddisk0\Partition5 is hda6

The best way is a bruce force method:  Write some \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1 up to Partition6, configure there from cobd1 to cobd6, configure cobd0 with a default small image (Debian or ArchLinux), run it (root=/dev/cobd0) and try to mount cobd1 in read only.  Lock into the mounted cobd1 and note what you see.  Do it with all your needed partitions your need.  Note the index of the goddy cobdX for creating your right dual boot config.

Tip: Use a file as swap image for your first image, not the real swap partition.  File is faster and you have not a risk to use wrong partition as swap.