Almost done. Debian squeeze 4 Gb system.
I have the network working. GUI working via xming on windows. Iceweasel installed and working.
But I have to start everything from the linux side.
Is there a way / how do I start a program on the colinux side using xming? The XLauncher seems to imply that I can do this but I have not been able to figure out how to do it.
I want to start the 'iceweasel' program with normal user 'colinux' so I can safely browse the internet. No more viruses, malware, spyware.
Any ideas on how to do this?
Well, I see that nobody visits this forum.
So I guess looking here is a waste of time.
Too bad, colinux looked like it might be somethig good.
I suppose you could put call to start iceweasel in the .profile file and auto login from that account on the linux side when linux is started.
You may want to put your question in the mailing list as that seems to be more active.
Possibility, no one has tried this configuration and you may have to figure it out by trial and error on your own.
CoLinux is very good and works very well.
There is a way… Short summary:
1. Set up an ssh server on debian
2. On Windows, download and/or install putty (you will need plink and puttygen if you don't install the whole thing)
3. Create an ssh key with puttygen, add the public part in your user's authorized_keys file. Don't put a password on the key (if you really must, then you will have to use pageant to load the key and ask for the password)
4. Create a batch file that runs plink, login with the key, and run the command with X forwarding enabled, ex:
"C:\Program Files\PuTTY\plink.exe" -X -i "C:\Program Files\coLinux\lenny-someuser.ppk" "email@example.com" "kcontrol"
5. Once the bat file works (while xming is running, may have to set the display variable) you can add it to the xming menu in .xmingrc.
Then you can make your linux start automatically as a service, start xming at boot/login,. and you will have access to you applications from the xming menu in the systray.
Let me know if you have any issue…