• xiKFcTJT
    xiKFcTJT
    2007-07-12

Dell d420
    XP SP2
    coLinux 0.8.0
    Kubuntu Feisty
    40GB external HD

I am trying to configure coLinux under XP to boot Feisty from my external HD.
    I've found some good instructions here:
    http://klimek.box4.net/blog/2007/06/08/mobile-ubuntu-colinux-setup/

... but I got stuck. I was hoping some one with a similar set up can help me out to get over the initial hurdles.

My first question would have to be: Does the Linux partition need to be formatted as FAT and be already mounted under Windows before I can start coLinux?
    Here's my colinux.conf (modified based on Manuel's instructions) file that generates the following kernel attack when I boot coLinux:

VFS: Cannot open root device “sdb1″ or unknown-block(8,17)
    Please append a correct “root=” boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,17)

colinux.conf
    kernel=vmlinux

# swap partition
    sdb3=DeviceHarddisk0Partition3

# root partition
    sdb1=DeviceHarddisk0Partition1

# point to the root partition…
    root=/dev/sdb1
    ro
    initrd=initrd.gz
    mem=256

# slirp device
    eth0=slirp

# when I boot kubuntu natively this is my wireless
    # connection; since I don’t want any configuration
    # changes from native to colinux I inserted a
    # unusable eth1 device in the colinux configuration
    eth1=pcap-bridge,”Unknown”

# internal high-speed connection between colinux
    # and vista only
    eth2=tuntap

# I want to see my Vista files and cdrom in colinux…
    cofs0=c:
    cofs1=d:
    cofs2=e:

And here is my menu.lst and fstab

menu.lst
    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=692ce111-3d47-4fe8-9eab-9ccb3d952723 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
    quiet
    savedefault

fstab
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sdb1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sdb2 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
    # /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/sdb3 none swap sw 0 0
    # /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Thanks!

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2007-07-31

Your external harddisk should not formated as FAT/NTFS for using as rootfilesystem.
      On other case, you need an Linux formated disk, or image file for starting coLinux. And there should be exist Linux files for booting (/bin/init, /bin/sh, and many more directories and files).

"sdb1=DeviceHarddisk0Partition1"
      is not correct here, because an Harddisk0 would never be external, this is typicaly the drive C: BE CAREFULLY with these windows names!

You wrote "/media/sda1 ntfs" from mounts list: If you have data on "sda1", then do not configure this drive with "Harddisk...Partition1" - you would loose all data. The direct partions assess is for Linux-only file systems, such as ext3, Reiser, Xfs.

You should go more clear, how do you wont to use your external disk:
      A) As disk under Windows and Linux (NTFS, FAT), then use only cofs or a image file on this disk.
      B) Linux only: Then format it as ext3, so windows don't access it - then coLinux can access with Harddisk...Partition directly.

Download the tool dd.exe (the mingw-version, not from Cygwin) and run "dd.exe --list" to see what the right partion is. see http://colinux.wikia.com/wiki/Partitions

For the first run I sugegst you to use /dev/cobd0 style (not sda, not hda), and only one "cobd0=...", no swap, no other disks and add "initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0" to your kernel parameters.  Inside the initrd shell, mount the cobd0 as READ ONLY and view into it, check the files, that you got the right Partition. After you found your Partition, use this "cobd0=..." in your real config (with root=/dev/cobd0 instead the ram0, and without initrd). The swap and all other drives should add as last step - after you better know your disk leyouts.

*Big warning* with the direct partion access: You risk loosing your drive C:, if you write (or formats) the wrong partition!