Help
Adrian
2007-09-27
2013-05-09
  • Adrian
    Adrian
    2007-09-27

Hi,

I am using coLinux for several years now on different computers. Now I have a new Notebook (HP 6715b) with a integrated ATI XPress 1270 graphik on Vista. When I disable this Graphikcard I am able to use coLinux in my normal dual boot setup with Kubuntu.

As soon as I enable the Card and start coLinux, the whole System crashes with a BSOD. It seems that there a memory parts which are used by both: the driver for the Card and colInux/Kubuntu. I get the same BSOD when I try to install Kubuntu in VirtualBox (funny: VirtualPC2007 doesn't have the problem - but I don't want to use it). So this is definatly a problem of the ATI driver.

But since I doubt, that ATI will bring a driver which solves this problem (and turning off the Card is not a nice option), I want to ask:

Is there a way to restrict parts of the memory which are used by coLinux ?
    Or has anybody else the same problem and maybe a solution ?

Thanks,

Adrian.

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2007-10-07

coLinux use the memory, that Windows us give, and this should be free. coLinux don't use continues memory. The memory that colinux becomes from Windows can be located in any pages from somethere of memory pool. coLinux does this page sort for Linux side as pseudo-continues-memory - it's no mapping, it's a simple table inside the linux driver.

If your ATI driver use a memory page and don't mark it as used, then it is very badly.
      Perhaps you find a program to allocate the "ATI" memory again. For this you need to know, what memory you wish to allocate. After this would be have the next problem: Can not allocate a special memory page under windows. Only a driver can allocate any memory and than this page is "inuse". Hardware driver can additionaly mark special areas as io memory for devices.

Perhaps you can limit the total memory for windows (in C:\boot.ini) or in BIOS? So, Windows does not use the shared memory from your graphics card as normal memory.

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2008-03-21

Please try the latest devel from http://www.colinux.org/snapshots/
      There was changed some with memory allocation (SVN r959, r937).
      An other user with shared graphic card was similar symptoms.

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2008-04-16

Last changes on memory page fault handler fixed many of boot problems. Typically with very fast cpu's, or dual core. Shared graphic card and more as 1GB host memory forced the bug. (SVN r1017, r1018)

Please checkout from http://www.colinux.org/snapshots/