Active FTP over SLIRP

Help
hawkeye
2009-09-02
2013-05-09
  • hawkeye
    hawkeye
    2009-09-02

Firstly, I realize this may not be a SLIRP or CoLinux issue, secondly, I realize I may have no options available to me, but I will give it a shot in hopes some solution can be had.

My problem is when running CoLinux 0.7.4 w/ Fedora 10 (20090228), on my home machine which is XP SP3, I can connect to my ftp site w/o issues. However, when I connect from my work machine which is XP SP2, I cannot.

Normally I would suspect the issue is I do not have *full* admin rights on my work machine (though I do have most admin privileges, and/or firewall settings (which I unfortunately cannot control). However, I can connect to the same ftp site from the Windows side w/o issue.

My FTP is unfortunately not managed by me (again, I may be out of options here due to so much not being managed by me in this equation), and it supports only active connections, passive fails. So the ftp client must use the port command. But when I try to connect from an ftp client in CoLinux, I get an error 500 "I won't open a connection to <My IP Address> (only to <Another IP Address>)".

I looked at other network options, but WinPCap is not an option as I cannot realistically put my work machine into promiscuous mode and perform my job as well. Tap isn't an option as the network is managed by Novell Login, so the bridging is not available.
    I did see SLIRP can forward ports, but I cannot find anything on port range forwarding for SLIRP, nor can I find anything in any of the ftp clients to force a certain port range to be used (which seems odd), and active port numbers are obviously not going to be the same one by default.

I know there are other options out there that would seem to be better suited at first glance, such as Cygwin, but I am (attempting to) bash script development, and Cygwin isn't quite suited to the need. Also, I prefer a few of the GUI based tools such as Kate/KWrite and KDevelop Script due to their capabilities. So a full blown Linux system is necessary. But a VM is undesirable due to the generally higher memory requirements and higher CPU usage. I am also trying to keep the development system portable, and the file I am developing portable but separate and not tied to the development machine.

So, any pointers or tips/suggestions would be appreciated, hopefully I am not without workable options.

Thank you!

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2009-09-02

Thank for your description. You found a real bug in SLiRP.
      FTP "active" does not work, since version 0.7.1 (so I can see from code history).

Please follow the Bug#2849262
      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2849262&group_id=98788&atid=622063

• hawkeye
      hawkeye
      2009-09-02

Thank you Henry N. The provided update resolves the issue. :-)