Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Colinux with Opensuse 10.2\10.3

Help
cris77
2007-08-16
2013-05-09
  • cris77
    cris77
    2007-08-16

I have a multiboot system.
    I have Grab that can run a Windows XP partition and a Opensuse 10.2 (I am waiting for 10.3).
    Since my bios doesnt support on HD of 160GB I had to make a 80Mb partition at the beginning of the disk with the kernel and the boot loader. The other part of Linux is after the Windows XP and a FAT32 Partioin.
    Can I use Colinux to access from Windows XP to my linux programs? What happend if I upgrade the system with Yast?

I guess my problem can be breakdown in:
    -Does Colinux work with OpenSuse? I am concerned about the different kernel.
    -Is the boot loader in a different partition a problem?
    -What about the FAT32 partition that is shared by both systems and the NTFS partition that should be readonly on Linux?
    -What happened in case of upgrade?

If Colinux is not the solution which virtualization software can enable me to run my linux environment on Windows? What if I want to do the opposite (running Windows XP on the HD in Opensuse)

Thank you in advance,
    -Cris

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2007-09-11

> -Does Colinux work with OpenSuse? I am concerned about the different kernel.

Should work. To fix some harmless error messages, see "Converting native Fedora Core 4 to colinux" in http://colinux.wikia.com/wiki/FedoraHowTo

-Is the boot loader in a different partition a problem?

No. coLinux does not use bootloader.

-What about the FAT32 partition that is shared by both systems and the NTFS partition that should be readonly on Linux?

Rigth: Don't mount it as FAT under coLinux! Don't mount it for reading, you would read wrong data from changed files.

Inside the native Linux you have for example /mounts/windows. Inside coLinux do this:
        mount -t cofs cofs0 /mounts/windows
      From coLinux version 0.7.1 you can use read and write on cofs without problems.

-What happened in case of upgrade?

You can do. Must change the things, you have changed and now was replaced with the origin from rpm. You should remember, what you have self changed.

I suggest to run colinux in runlevel 4. Then you can have normal native boots with runlevel 3 (text) and runlevel 5 X11. For me, I have added some special scripts under runlevel 4 by hand (networkig and mounts) and SuSE leaved this untouched on every update. (tested only SuSE 9.0)