Networking problems in Colinux

Help
Steelwing
2006-11-11
2013-05-09
  • Steelwing
    Steelwing
    2006-11-11

After several hours of work on colinux configuration, I've gotten Colinux to the point where it will at least talk to my WinXP host.  I still can't get it to see the internet.
    This is the XML file I've got:
    <colinux>
        <block_device index="0" path="\DosDevices\c:\coLinux\Debian-3.0r2.ext3-mit-backports.1gb" enabled="true" />
        <block_device index="1" path="\DosDevices\c:\coLinux\colinuxswap" enabled="true" />
        <bootparams>root=/dev/cobd0</bootparams>
        <bootparams>root=/dev/cobd0</bootparams>
        <initrd path="initrd.gz" />
        <image path="vmlinux" />
        <memory size="128" />
        <network index="0" type="bridged" name="Ethernet" />
    </colinux>

ipconfig /all in WinXP yields this when colinux is running:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : steelwing
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myhome.westell.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : myhome.westell.com
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-27-78-F8
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 11, 2006 9:47:26 AM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 11, 2006 12:47:26 PM

Ethernet adapter TAP:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Win32 Adapter V8 (coLinux)
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-EE-DD-CC-BB-AA

ifconfig in colinux shows IP as 192.168.0.42.  SM is 255.255.0.  DGW is 192.168.0.1.
    Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

• Jerry Park
      Jerry Park
      2006-11-21

Steelwing2,

I'm pretty sure a good part of your problem lies with the XML configuration file with the line:
      <network index="0" type="bridged" name="Ethernet" />.

If you go to the coLinux wiki pages, they have a pretty thorough discussion of this.  If you are in bridged mode, the name of your adapter should be the Windows "Device" name assigned to the Local Area Connection of your NIC card.  In my case this would be "SiS190 100/10 Ethernet Device"   If you need to find the forum and links, just look up coLinux on Wikipedia and follow the links.  You also have to set your NIC card into "bridged" mode on the Windows side, and bridge it to the TapWin32 adapter.

I'm involved with the Sourceforge EMR project "Tkfp".  We use coLinux. and if you read about how to install our coLinux image, there is some information that might help you to understand coLinux WinXP bridging as well.

If you use "tap" as the device instead, coLinux will connect to the TapWin32 device, and you can ping it to test the TapWin32 device, but you won't be connected to your NIC card and you won't be able to get on the Internet.  I see that your TapWin32 adapter is not connected to coLinux.

I use Win2k, and never successfully got coLinux connected to Cygwin/X, because Win2k doesn't have the software "bridge" feature that WinXP does.  I read and tried a lot of stuff from the coLinux forms and wiki and couldn't get any of it to work.  I finally gave up and installed Topologilinux, which installs a Slackware 10.2 image with coLinux and displays X via VNC.  It installed well for me, and I was able to get coLinux connected to the Internet with it.

jparkdo

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2006-11-22

Your adapter name "Ethernet" is ok here, it's matching the name from windows ipconfig.

But you wrote:
      > ifconfig in colinux shows IP as 192.168.0.42. SM is 255.255.0. DGW is 192.168.0.1

Are you shure with that netmask?
      Netmask inside colinux should be 255.255.255.0, not 255.255.0.0

If you need a simple internet access, than use slirp, and static ip inside colinux.
      <network index="0" type="slirp" />
      http://wiki.colinux.org/wiki/Network#SLiRP_with_Static_IP_Address