How to mount a CoLinux disk image in Linux

Help
2009-01-09
2013-05-09
  • I'm about to convert a Windows+CoLinux machine into a Linux one and I need to solve the problem of moving the data inside the CoLinux disk images to Linux.

The easy way is to copy all the data to an external hard disk and copy them back into Linux. However I wonder if it is possible to mount the CoLinux disk images as Linux file systems. I googled for that but had no success in finding anything useful. Does anybody know how to do that or is just plain impossible?

Thanks
    Paolo

• David Reuveni
      David Reuveni
      2009-01-09

Hi Paolo,

usually when you set up CoLinux, you have the option to access the host disk as cobd0.
      You can mount other disks by the same mechanism. Since you want to move to a linux system, you will probably want to hold onto your windows system for a while so there is no reason why you can't copy your files from within CoLinux onto a directory in your windows partition and then grab them from there when linux is up and running.

Mounting your CoLinux disk is probably an option too but I suspect it will involve some once in a lifetime tasks that would not be so easy. On the other hand, if you want to switch back and forth between linux and CoLinux, you could still use a host disk directory to store your files.

Regards, David

• Darrek
        Darrek
        2009-01-09

Copy the colinux file from Windows to linux and mount it as follows:

mount colinuximage /mnt/tmp -o loop -t ext3

...assuming the colinux disk file is called colinuximage, /mnt/tmp is a folder that exists, and ext3 is the filesystem type used within the colinuximage disk file.

You may need to enable the loop kernel option (somewhere under block or filesystem)

-DK

• Henry N.
          Henry N.
          2009-01-11

Idea from Darrek is usable, but you not need to copy the file from Windows to Linux. You can the file mount in place.

Mount your windows partition - this can do readonly.
          Locate the file and than mout it with full path to the file. It is "/media/windows/" in the example. Use "ro" (read only) to avoid writings to this file on the Windows side. For example:

mkdir /mnt/tmp
          mount /media/windows/colinuximage /mnt/tmp -o loop,ro

Mostly kernels have loop enabled. Sometimes you need a "modprobe loop" to load the module before you can mount it.

• I'm completing the switch to Linux right now (I'm posting from the new OS). I just mounted the colinux disks over the loop device following your instructions and I'm starting to copy my data.

Thanks to everybody!

Paolo