Help
antares
2010-11-06
2013-05-09
  • antares
    antares
    2010-11-06

Hi @all

I am experiencing some weird problems with colinux here. First off, what I intended to do:
    I stripped my windows Xp installation using nlite. At my university, there is a Cisco VPN, and to connect to the network I need a proprietary client. Because I seem to have stripped a bit too much from my windows installation the Cisco VPN Client does not install. Now, what came onto my mind was to install a virtual machine, give it access to wireless, then use the linux vpnc client and NAT that network access to the host.

My initial thoughts were to use NDIS to get colinux access to my wireless network. that did not work, for my card seems to need promisc mode and there´s no way I can activate that under windows.
    So I considered using SLIRP to get access to the Network, and tuntap to use as my default internet connection.

1. Problem: When I start colinux, SLIRP uses the tuntap interface from Colinux as default routing, while the host still has access to the wireless network. weird.
    2. Problem(if I do not use the second NIC): vpnc starts and connects, but after it says it successfully connected, there´s a new interface for it, it get´s an IP, DNS and Gateway address, but from there on, no traffic gets relayed(after starting vpnc, the colinux vm should have internet access) - weird

What can I do to disallow the slirp daemon to use the CoLinux tuntap device as default route?
    Did anyone here stumble over vpnc and got it working properly? If so, how?

I am using the current 0.7.8 Version of Colinux and the provided debian lenny image btw.

• Henry N.
    Henry N.
    2010-11-08

SLiRP works as a program on Windows, that uses default network settings. So, if you set tuntap as default gateway for your Windows system, then it is normal, that SLiRP uses this way.

You can try to create a Windows-Bridge (not coLinux bridge) between your wireless card and a Windows Loopback device. After the Windows-Bridge exist, you can use this bridge for a coLinux bridge with ndis-bridge.
    Search for "colinux windows loopback" or see Network in the Wiki

Second way is to enable ICS Internet connect sharing and using an additional tuntap (manual install). So you need one tuntap from ICS to coLinux and an other tuntap from coLinux to your Windows.

• antares
    antares
    2010-11-17

hmm, I know how SLiRP is intended to work. however, if the tuntap device was windows' default gateway, I should not have internet access on the host machine any more(as tuntap is connected into the Colinux system), but I still have (inter)network access, so this should unfortunately not the issue.

About the bridging idea, I feel weird that it did never come to my mind :-) I will further investigate this and report back here.

ICS however is not an option for me, as the host computer is connected to multiple networks, resulting in an address conflict when enabling ICS due to one of the other networks using the same address area. However, I cannot change the external networks, as this is out of my jurisdiction.

Still, I will keep you guys updated if I finally find a solution.