Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Ping issue

2010-07-13
2013-05-09
  • Brian Monsees
    Brian Monsees
    2010-07-13

I am unable to ping the PC addres

i.e

PC host address 192.168.54.21 , Inet addres 192.168.54.200, can ping .200 but not .21.

Also arp shows address 192.168.54.1 but HWaddress (incomplete)

Any Ideas ?

• Henry N.
    Henry N.
    2010-07-13

Disable the Firewall on your PC. This is often a problem.
    Install Wireshark under Windows to watch the packets on your network card.

For more help, it would be interesting, what type of coLinux network do you used (tap, ndis-bridge or pcap-bridge)? What do you have in the coLinux  config for "eth0=…" ?
    If you use any of the bridge, the next question: is 192.168.54.21 a WLAN (or WiFi) adapter?
    What does the 192.168.54.1 there? is that your Router?

• Brian Monsees
    Brian Monsees
    2010-07-16

Hi Thanks for your feed back, but I have managed to sort of resolve it I only get the isse when I create the system as a windows service ? any Ideas ?

See below batch and conf file Im useing :-

colinux-daemon.exe kernel=vmlinux initrd=initrd.gz mem=256 cobd0="C:/Program Files/coLinux/Fedora-10.img" cobd1="C:/Program Files/coLinux/swap.img" root=/dev/cobd0 eth0=pcap-bridge,"192.168.54.21" ro

Cheers

• Henry N.
    Henry N.
    2010-07-16

This is wrong:

eth0=pcap-bridge,"192.168.54.21"

You must use the name of your Networkadapter, that you can see in Windows overview of all your ethernet adapters. Its a name like "Local Connection" or so, not a IP address.

eth0=pcap-bridge,"Local Connection"

The name for "Local Connection" you can see, if you runs from command line without a name:

eth0=pcap-bridge

Or from your working command line. colinux-daemon than, will list the used name. Pick this name and put it into your config.

Second: Remember, that run as user from command line and running as service use different Windows user names. So the random setup for MAC have different MAC in running coLinux. Some distributions will than rename the interface eth0 to eth1 or higher. To solve this, please configure a fixed MAC, for example:

eth0=pcap-bridge,"Local Connection",02:00:00:00:00:03

Than you needs to delete the lines for eth0 from file "*persistent-net.rules" (somethere under /etc/udev), and a reboot.

The problem with renameing networks you can solve by adding a rule for coLinux network, see in wiki: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth2

• Brian Monsees
    Brian Monsees
    2010-07-16

Hi Henry,

Thanks for that all work fine now even as windows service….

Thanks agin Brian Monsees