wifi0 Come hell or high water (Access wifi)

2011-02-02
2013-05-09
  • David Hawkins
    David Hawkins
    2011-02-02

I want to be able to access wifi0/wlan0 (the actual adapters) from within colinux.

It *must* be possible and I intend to do it even if I have to build something myself.

Look at these posts:

1. How many packets (IV) do you have? you need at least 800k+ (not sure, get a million or more for a fast crack, the more the merrier) to be able to crack 128 encryption.
    2. ARP replay for aireplay-ng makes your target AP shit IV's. (If there's no connected clients you do a fakeauth + forge ARP packet then replay it).
    3. Don't remember the name exactly but iirc there's a tool in the aircrack suite that can do that.
    I use a CoLinux VM with gentoo on it…Ill post a screenshot later.

I have been using XP's native bridging without a hitch for quite some
    > > time now. If you want *all* of your traffic to go to colinux, just
    > > disable your network adapter in windows, and find and load an
    > > appropriate driver module for the adapter under colinux. As long as
    > > Windows know not to touch the adapter, colinux is free to sieze it for
    > > itself.
    http://osdir.com/ml/linux.colinux.general/2004-05/msg00079.html

I want to be able to scan wireless channels from within Colinux.  But I need access to wifi0.  (The drivers are already included in the kernel).

I need help. I'll take all the help I can get.

• Henry N.
    Henry N.
    2011-02-02

Sorry, it is not possible to change the channel of Wifi from inside coLinux.

We have no direct hardware access.
    All coLinux network drivers works on Ethernet layer.
    So, you can only send/receive raw-Ethernet packets on current channel.

• David Hawkins
    David Hawkins
    2011-02-02

Well that's no good…

Is there a version of airmon that works on colinux then?

• SKode
    SKode
    2011-02-02

I'm not too familiar with colinux, it's mainly an interest, but here goes.

So what you're saying is that it's not possible given the current setup.  HOWEVER, you could write a windows program that allows console control of the wi-fi setup as well as a task tray icon and create a forewarding program to foreward the controls via the tap or local network interface to colinux.  Basically, creating a terminal that interacts with the wireless and then forewarding it.

I can also see someone screwing with that if the network were handled incorrectly.

It would be best to program it generically so that it uses a DLL to control whatever needs to be controlled… similar to rundll… but we'll call this rundlLINUX. There will be license issues if it's GPL-ed.  May I suggest the MIT license.

There are things that can do this but I don't recommend them as I expect they will soon be marked as viruses as they are only used to infiltrate systems. (Similar to how the legitimate output of the gnu compiler can be marked as a virus for a specific program if the keyword google isn't included. c.c x.x)

As for the 'no direct hardware access'… well… you'd have it already if colinux were under a license compatible with the BSD license… I wanna see Co-BSD!!!.  While there are more developers for linux, many linux wireless drivers were originally written for BSD.
    Alternately you can pass netsh commands to the command line of windows in vista and newer operating systems.  A free version of netsh maybe (as it has to interact with a wireless module or dll under a non-gpl license, I recommend a more liberal license for this component.  For compatibility, MIT… for simplicity, just mozilla tri-license it.)
    Make sure to prepend the netsh command and disallow && (if someone intercepted the command and sent a similar one with && and something else they could run something via a batch file.

according to this
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785383(WS.10).aspx
    there is a -r remote option for netsh.  At least for the most recent version.  A script that forewards the commands, a script or program executing on the remote system (or just periodically executed… we don't mind a minute delay) makes the change.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/netfxnetcom/thread/d8d5dcb6-4e4c-44bc-aa26-a22b70fe5c98
    If you wanna go full out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904358

• David Hawkins
    David Hawkins
    2011-02-03

Well this is certainly more like it!

But how do I use netsh to scan networks?

And you can connect remotely from another windows box… but how do you connect remotely from linux? I've done a few searches for Linux connecting to netsh but come up empty-handed…