Networking with multiple coLinux instance?

T. Yamada
2004-06-06
2004-06-06
  • T. Yamada
    T. Yamada
    2004-06-06

Hi.

I'm trying to create virtual network with multiple coLinux instances, but having problem getting it up.

Here's the brief description of my configuration:

1. Each coLinux instance has 2 (or more) interfaces: eth0 and eth1.
    2. eth0 is assigned to bridged TAP interface, allowing DHCP through host XP's "local network" interface.
    3. eth1 is assigned to non-bridged TAP interface, so I can use it to create virtual network.

My problem is that both fails - DHCP won't complete and virtual network between coLinux instances never works.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. Installed multiple TAP drivers and named them "tap0", "tap1", and so forth.

2. Assigned different MAC address to each virtual TAP device.

3. Booted off coLinux instances, assigning 2 TAP interface to each instance.

When I assigned static IP address to both XP and coLinux side, I was able to ping from each instance to Windows XP host. So I guess this configuration works to some degree.

But when I invoke DHCP client, it starts to behave really strangely. Sometimes first (and only the first) coLinux instance succeeds, and sometimes all coLinux instances either get the same IP address or just continue retrying forever with no DHCP address assignment.

For "virtual networking", it seems there's no way to connect each coLinux instances - but is it really? For example, I can use "uml_switch" that provides virtual HUB device with UML or even bridge interface to join selected interface togather to create a network between instances. It there similar facility available on coLinux?

I'm currently running coLinux 0.6.1 on Windows XP Home Edition. Thanks in advance.