Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

error initializing

2006-11-10
2013-05-09
  • atomicfather
    atomicfather
    2006-11-10

I was running colinux fine as a service, then one day all of a sudden with no config changes the service won't start and command line returns the error listed below.  This is on XP with desktop switching, likely that the kids occasionally do bad shutdowns.

I copied off my c:\coLinux\Debian-3.0r2.ext3-mit-backports.1gb and my config.xml, reinstalled coLinux-0.6.4.exe and copied back Debian-3.0r2.ext3-mit-backports.1gb and config.xml.  That fixed it and I can run colinux service again.  I'm not sure which piece was hosed and got fixed by the reinstall.  Anyone have any ideas?

error:

C:\coLinux>colinux-daemon -c config.xml
    colinux: manager open: last error: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Cooperative Linux Daemon, 0.6.4
    Compiled on Mon May 29 22:19:09 2006

mapping cobd0 to \DosDevices\c:\coLinux\Debian-3.0r2.ext3-mit-backports.1gb
    mapping cobd1 to \DosDevices\c:\coLinux\swap_device
    error initializing
    couldn't get driver handle
    daemon: exit code 87c0a001
    daemon: error - CO_RC_ERROR_ERROR, line 40, file colinux/user/monitor.o (62)

config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <colinux>
        <block_device index="0" path="\DosDevices\c:\coLinux\Debian-3.0r2.ext3-mit-backports.1gb" enabled="true" />
        <block_device index="1" path="\DosDevices\c:\coLinux\swap_device" enabled="true" />
        <cofs_device index="0" type="flat" path="\DosDevices\C:\&quot; enabled="true" />
        <bootparams>root=/dev/cobd0</bootparams>
        <initrd path="initrd.gz" />
        <image path="vmlinux" />
        <memory size="512" />
        <network index="0" type="tap" />
    </colinux>

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2006-12-11

If you switching from one to other version, you need these steps

cd CurrentCoLinuxInstall
        colinux-daemon.exe --remove-driver

cd NewCoLinuxInstall
        colinux-daemon.exe --install-driver

Sometimes needs a reboot between remove and install, or manualy remove the driver from hardware control panel.

Theses steps also helps if your Installation was broken, or if Windows has marked the driver as "not running" or "broken", you see the Exclamation mark, for sample here:
      http://www.henrynestler.com/colinux/screenshoots/HardwareDeviceManager.png

If you have this "Exclamation mark" on the coLinux driver, then remove the driver from Hardware Device Manager, reboot machine, check that Hardware Device Manager is clean and run "colinux-daemon.exe --install-driver".  That should help to reinstall the linux.sys.