Installation under cygwin

Anonymous
2002-10-31
2002-11-04

• Anonymous
    2002-10-31

I am trying to install codestriker under cygwin on a Windows 2000 PC.

Since it comes as part of cygwin full installation I have used PostgreSQL. I have never used this befoe so am I would like some help in the setup. The install notes for Codestriker says that a database can be started by
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

However the rc.d dir does not exist., also postgresql is not a command.

Any suggestions?

• David Sitsky
      David Sitsky
      2002-10-31

Hi Brian,

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start command was only there as an example, and it is specific to redhat. 

In general, you can start postgres by issuing a command like:

pg_ctl start -D ${postgresql.install.data.dir} -l ${postgresql.log.file} -p ${postgresql.install.bin.dir}/postmaster

But check your local docs, as it is likely to be different under windows.  Also - replaces the ${} vars with the appropriate values on your box.

You are entering uncharted territory, as I am not aware of anyone trying to port codestriker >= 1.5 run under Windows (the really early version did work - but a lot has changed since then).

The one thing that needs to be done is to change the email sending to not use sendmail (a unix program), but to use the Perl SMTP module, so that this will run under windows.

This is the next item on my todo list, so if you are keen and are happy to be a guinea pig, I'd love to try and get this working.

• Anonymous
      2002-11-01

Yes I would be interested - if I can get that far with the installation. There is quite a few dependencies before Codestriker can be installed.

Let me know

BM

• David Sitsky
        David Sitsky
        2002-11-03

Hi Brian,

In the next day or so, I'll send you a tar.gz file which will contain the change to use Net::Smtp for sending emails, when I have a spare hour.

Cheers,
        David

• David Sitsky
        David Sitsky
        2002-11-04

I've checked into the latest CVS the code which uses Net::SMTP.  If you do a cvs update and grab it, set your $mailhost in the configuration file appropriately, and hopefully you'll be right on the mail front.

Let me know how you go.

• David Sitsky
        David Sitsky
        2002-11-04

I've checked into the latest code into CVS which uses Net::SMTP.  If you do a cvs update and grab it, set your $mailhost in the configuration file appropriately, and hopefully you'll be right on the mail front.

Let me know how you go.