Right-to-Left writing systems (eg Arabic)

Help
2012-02-06
2013-01-26
  • Jason Keats
    Jason Keats
    2012-02-06

I'd like to be able to create PDFs containing Arabic, Urdu, etc., text; that is, right-to-left. Is this possible, yet, with PDFClown?

I know there's a note on the main page saying that only left-to-right writing systems are supported - but that was four years ago. I was wondering if there was any progress, yet, on this feature - or when it might be available.

• Unfortunately the project had to focus on more common features; I'd like that someone could volunteer for this task, as I'm still involved in further spec coverage (font subsetting, color space profiles, file encryption, content rasterization, logical structure…).

• Jason Keats
    Jason Keats
    2012-02-07

I'm sorry to hear that, Stefano.  I thought the RTL feature would have rated much higher in importance - being useful to about a billion readers.

As PDFClown can't do what I want (ie, help create PDFs in any language using .NET), can you please recommend an alternative? For example, should I be looking at using iTextSharp, ABCpdf… or something else?

• If some good guy would volunteer or someone else would donate to increase its priority level, right-to-left implementation would be a matter of months. Other features may be potentially useful to 6 bn people, so complainings are pretty useless… ;-)

• Jason Keats
    Jason Keats
    2012-02-08

If it sounds like I'm complaining that's only because I'm very disappointed that my boss won't let me use your lovely PDF library due to its lack of right-to-left functionality. ;-)

Unfortunately, I don't think we have the ability (or willingness) to provide a donation large enough to ensure (a reasonable likelihood that) the required feature becomes available within a suitable time frame.

I also understand your reluctance to (appear to) "endorse" an alternative library in this forum.