Table Creation using Clown PDF

Help
2010-11-23
2013-01-26
  • Rudy Gireyev
    Rudy Gireyev
    2010-11-23

Hello.

Happy to have found this great software. Thank you Stefano. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to create a table within a PDF document that I'm creating?
    Or do I have to draw a large rectangle and then fill it with text separated with lines?

Rudy

• Hi,
    table objects are high-level typographic entities managed by the 3rd level of the page composition stack (see par. 2.7.2 of the PDF Clown's User Guide (included in the distribution); see also the package API ), which hasn't been implemented yet (only level 1 and 2 are available at the moment, i.e. PrimitiveFilter and BlockFilter).

So, you have 2 options here: drawing a large rectangle filling it with text separated with lines or helping to implement the high-level page composition… :-)

Thank you
    Stefano

http://clown.sourceforge.net/API/it/stefanochizzolini/clown/documents/contents/composition/package-summary.html

• Rudy Gireyev
    Rudy Gireyev
    2010-11-24

Now taking into account that I know nothing about the PDF specification, how difficult would it be for me to get involved in the implementing it? Basically what do you think I can do?

• Mission impossible? :-D

mmh… at the moment there's no blueprint for guiding you in its implementation. I can sketch it out, though: the 3rd page composition level should encompass a layout and flow manager which should coordinate the placement of the typographic elements (such as tables, text paragraphs, images and so on) into the document pages. I can suggest you, for example, the XSL-FO spec  as a good point for starting to figure out some basic model concepts and formatting requirements.

I know, it seems a daunting task! Maybe you could break it down focusing on your specific requirement (table construction): start defining its model (a classic table object containing cells), add to the model objects any relevant formatting attributes (margins, border styles, …), then create a processor (the above-mentioned manager) feeding it with your model instances. The processor will be responsible to keep the current typographic context (general formatting info such as page margins), rendering each model instance through the existing primitives (see PrimitiveFilter and BlockFilter).

Stefano

http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/

• andyb123
    andyb123
    2012-03-09

This is an old thread but I thought I would ask. Has this feature been implemented now?

• The 3rd page-composition level (layout and flow management) is still not available. Contributions are welcome.