errors Reading Pdf's

Help
John
2010-09-30
2013-01-26
  • John
    John
    2010-09-30

We have developed a .NET application to read the contents of text boxes off of scanned documents that are saved as PDF's . The apllication/dll works great on all but the pdf files we need to use it on. We get an error involving a missing dictionary on the pdf's created from our scans. The error is returned with a page count of 0. What is it that the dll relys upon that is missing in our pdf's? Again, when we use the app on other pdf's it works correctly. Thanks for your help.

• Hello,

as I suggested on a previous thread, I need a sample PDF file to accurately identify the problem, otherwise I cannot give you any answer.

Thank you
    Stefano

• John
    John
    2010-10-10

Hi Stefano,

I'm sending you the stack trace. I attempted to attach a copy of the pdf file that we are working with but couldnt get it to attach. If you want to provide me with an email address, I'll be glad to forward it to you.  The files we work with are scanned with a Canon scanner and then saved as PDF's.  Thanks for your help.

2010-10-07 20:34:16,934   Ctc.CtcPdfProcess.DomainTest.DomainTest - Message: xref keyword not found.
    Stack:    at it.stefanochizzolini.clown.tokens.Reader.ReadTrailer()
       at it.stefanochizzolini.clown.files.File..ctor(IInputStream stream)
       at it.stefanochizzolini.clown.files.File..ctor(String path)
       at Ctc.CtcPdfProcess.Domain.EventFilePdf.process() in D:\devl\projects\CTC\CtcPdfProcess\src\Domain\EventFilePdf.cs:line 32
       at Ctc.CtcPdfProcess.DomainTest.DomainTest.testDomainDocLoad() in D:\devl\projects\CTC\CtcPdfProcess\src\DomainTest\DomainTest.cs:line 29

• Hi,

your stack trace doesn't seem consistent with your initial problem ("an error involving a missing dictionary on the pdf's created from our scans. The error is returned with a page count of 0")… anyway, "xref keyword not found" is a well-known issue already mentioned in other threads and reported on the blog's 0.0.8 Q&A: in these weeks I'm purposely working to solve it (see "Waiting for PDF Clown 0.1 release").

On the project's blog I'm keeping up to date information about the evolution of its development, so don't miss it if you're interested!

Thank you
    Stefano