Support of Distiller 9.0.0

Help
2008-11-05
2013-01-26
  • Stephane C.
    Stephane C.
    2008-11-05

Hello,

I don't know if you're aware of it, but when we try to use your (excellent, btw) library to open a pdf created by Acrobat Distiller v9.0.0, the exe crashes :

Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type
    'System.Int32' to type 'System.String'.
       at it.stefanochizzolini.clown.tokens.Reader.ReadTrailer()
       at it.stefanochizzolini.clown.files.File..ctor(IInputStream stream)
       at it.stefanochizzolini.clown.files.File..ctor(String path)
       at pdfParser.Program.Main(String[] args) in E:\Projects\pdfParser\pdfParser\P
    rogram.cs:line 16

I guess Adobe chaged the type of an attribute in the header, causing the ReadTrailer to crash.

Do you know about this issue (which is not really a bug...) ? Do you plan to add support for pdf generated with this version of distiller ?

Thanks in advance

• Hi Stephane,

many thanks for your report.

Could you please send me (if it doesn't hurt your privacy) one of such PDF files so that I'm able to reproduce it?
      See my personal info page [1] to get my email address.

Thank you
      Stefano

[1] https://sourceforge.net/users/stechio/

• Hi Stephane,

your issue was due to the lack of support to cross-reference streams [PDF:1.6:3.4.7], as PDF Clown hasn't implemented them yet (it currently supports only the more common cross-reference table syntax).

Cross-reference streams will be made available in one of the next releases (2009), along with object streams and file linearization.

Thank you
      Stefano

• Stephane C.
      Stephane C.
      2008-11-12

Thank you for your answer Stefano, I'll be waiting for the next release :)

Best regards,
      Stéphane.