Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Source Repository?

2010-11-16
2013-01-26
  • Robert Sanders
    Robert Sanders
    2010-11-16

Just been looking at PDF Clown today for what should be a small project I have.  Seems like a really nice code base, and I like the LGPL, etc… However I ran into the problem with the 'xref' keyword not found, and subsequently found this is being worked on, but has not been released.

I'm not a PDF expert, just learned enough to do one other small project in the past (with iText); however it seems to me that it would be really useful for getting a community if the source code repository where online somewhere.  This should save the effort of doing patch uploads, and with proper tag/branching should allow any developer to get a snapshot to work from.

Consider this a friendly suggestion, thanks.

• Alan Trick
    Alan Trick
    2010-11-16

Is there really no source control? I've been looking around for one and thought I just couldn't find it.

• Hi all,
    as I anticipated on a previous thread, I'll publish its SVN repo on the next release (0.1.0), because in the meantime I have been undertaking a deep source structure revision that I'd prefer to keep outside the source history for the sake of clearness.

I confirm you that I'm implementing the solution to the "'xref' keyword not found" issue.

Thank you
    Stefano

• Robert Sanders
    Robert Sanders
    2010-11-17

Cool, looking forward to it.

Just to share - I am in the process (at my company) of converting from SVN to git.  We looked at both git and Mecurial, and in the end decided to go with git due it seeming to have more momentum.  We're mainly using it in the same way we'd use SVN, with a central server.  The two big advantages are the speed of most operations, and the fact that you branching and tagging are both orthogonal to the directory structure and very, very fast (compared to SVN).  There are some issues, such as less IDE support, etc… The other thing it has that would benefit you here, is the ability to squash all the edits on a local branch into one big commit, so if you need to go do a huge amount of refactoring, you can, if you like, make it show up for others as one big commit.

Keep up the good work.  I got derailed by not being able to read all the files I need to using the current version, but up until then, I was finding the API very nice to work with, and your example very clear.

• Robin Vobruba
    Robin Vobruba
    2012-05-15

i would like to give a +1 to robertsanders for mentioning git (and Mercurial).
    i can only recommend moving from SVN to git, especially for an OpenSource project. as you might know, SVN (like CVS) is a centralized SCM, while git, mercurial and bazaar are distributed ones. distributed goes hand in hand with the OpenSource way. you get more possibilities, easier and cleaner ways of creating and supplying patches, easier and faster ways of maintaining parallel histories, and you loose nothing, not even controll.
    i think the only reasons agasint a move to git might be:
    1. you have to learn git
    2. you fear loosing control
    it is true that you have to learn, and ther eaer quite some differences, but it is very much worth it. and 2. .. i have never seen it happen, except in cases where.. the author died, and 4 years later someone  took over control, and . that were usually still SVN repo hosted projects.

distributed SCM allows for faster and more flow in a community.