cmd.exe launched upon ComputeProgram.Build()

Help
zamirkhan
2010-08-17
2012-12-21
  • zamirkhan
    zamirkhan
    2010-08-17

I'm just getting started with Cloo (very useful so far!) trying to integrate some OpenCL into a program. However, I'm finding that every time ComputeProgram.Build(null, null, null, InPtr.Zero) is executed, a command window (cmd.exe) flashes open and closed. There doesn't appear to be any text in the window. This is of course undesirable.

I wondering if I'm doing something wrong that's causing cmd.exe to be opened and closed.

Thanks.

• mux85
    mux85
    2010-08-18

Are you using ATI Stream SDK? As far as I know this is a known bug of the ATI implementation of OpenCL, without that window the build fails.

• zamirkhan
    zamirkhan
    2010-08-18

I am indeed. Thank you for that information. Not the best news, but good to know that it's a known issue. If you have a link to a thread on the ATI forums regarding this issue, that would be much appreciated.

• nythrix
    nythrix
    2010-08-18

I installed ATI Stream v2.2 this morning and couldn't run the Clootils tests anymore. It looks like ATI did it again. Again.
    Broke my previous workaround (https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloo/forums/forum/1048266/topic/3673295). Also Build(null, null, null, IntPtr.Zero) doesn't work properly anymore. I'll come back at you if I figure something out.

• nythrix
    nythrix
    2010-08-20

That's odd. I just confirmed that the Clootils samples work with v2.01 but not 2.2. Could you run the tests with the new release, please? I'd really like to find out what's going on. Where I'm sitting, ATI Stream v2.2 makes Clootils crash in such a way that all the catch blocks are ignored. It jumps right into the OS. For the record: bugs like these cannot be caused by Cloo (i think). It is almost always buggy drivers.

As I pointed out before, Clootils hacked its way around this problem by preallocating a console. But with this Stream release, it seems they've changed some internal bits and the workaround is now broken. That's my bet.

• mux85
    mux85
    2010-08-21

i've run clootils 0.7.4 and i made the gpu tests. everything works fine. what's your GPU? have you installed catalyst 10.7b? you can find it here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/OpenCL11ATICat107UpdateDriver.aspx
    it's in the system requirements of the new sdk. hope this helps

• nythrix
    nythrix
    2010-08-21

Unfortunately, I don't have an ATI GPU. I'm running the tests on the CPU instead. Could you test that? Sorry for bothering you and thanks for your help.

• mux85
    mux85
    2010-08-22

I've tested on the cpu too. no problem even there

• nythrix
    nythrix
    2010-08-22

Well, you're either lucky or the SDK without the Catalysts is useless because even the simplest example fails. This piece (which runs fine on a previous version) just blows regardless of being run as a console app or not:

string clSource = @"kernel void K(){}";
    ComputeContextPropertyList cpl = new ComputeContextPropertyList(ComputePlatform.Platforms[0]);
    ComputeContext context = new ComputeContext(ComputeDeviceTypes.Default, cpl, null, IntPtr.Zero);
    ComputeProgram program = new ComputeProgram(context, clSource);
    ComputeKernel kernel = program.CreateKernel("K");

After reading http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=138254&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear  I gave up. And there's no use in reporting bugs to ATI. They've known about the console problem since January yet it's still around. Meh…

• mux85
    mux85
    2010-08-23

yes the console problem is there since a long time and it's still there, maybe they don't see it as a big problem. many other issues have been solved so we should wait for the next version and maybe they will solve this issue too.
    about the issue with the new sdk i am not completely surprised that you have problems using the ati stream sdk on a system without an ati video card. i've tried that too on my notebook (with a geforce 8800m gtx) without much success. I think that there's a problem with opencl.dll being overwritten or something similar.
    do you have an nvidia card? why don't you use the nvidia sdk?

• nythrix
    nythrix
    2010-08-23

What struggles me is that code like this used to work on a previous version of Stream and the same HW. Another interesting thing is a complex example (raytracing), which works regardless. Oh well, I'll just wait for v2.3 or so. I only hope it won't make me hold back Cloo 0.8.0.

Yes I do. But I won't have access to my regular dev machine until next week. So I'm using an old notebook (and ranting :) ATM.