TDR timeouts ?

Help
laterafter
2011-05-07
2012-12-21
  • laterafter
    laterafter
    2011-05-07

Can anyone point me to good instruction how to set TDR timeout? I have some problems running OpenCL appllications (with Cloo) because my video adapter is restarted after some seconds of doing computations.

Few times I run my app and it computed values I wanted, but later app wasn't able to finish computations because of TDR timeouts I think.

I tried creating TdrDelay registry entry with value 20 (according to this instruction: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368) but it didn't help.

Can you tell me if you had any bad experience with TDR timeouts ?

I'm using Visual Studio 2010, Cloo 0.9 on laptop with Quadro 140M NVS and 260.99 notebook developer drivers.

• nythrix
    nythrix
    2011-05-07

Changing the TDR is NOT recommended. I have the same problems from time to time. I try to fix them by reducing the size of the computation or simplify the kernel itself i.e. by splitting it into smaller ones. The first approach is easier to implement (usually).

• laterafter
    laterafter
    2011-05-07

You talking about globalWorkSize parameter for queue.Execute() ?

• nythrix
    nythrix
    2011-05-07

Yes. Try launching the computation in halves. First run from 0 to N/2 - 1, then N/2 to N. Adjust numbers as needed. Or you can go even lower.