Encryption of hard drive image

Help
2009-12-30
2014-06-30
  • Francis Loch
    Francis Loch
    2009-12-30

Hi there,

Is it possible to create an encrypted image of a hard drive using Clonezilla?

Kind regards,

Francis

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2009-12-30

Not really. By default the saved data are not encrypted. However, you can try to pack the image dir with another tool to encrypt it.

Steven.

• Francis Loch
    Francis Loch
    2009-12-30

Thanks Steven, although it's not really an ideal solution for me. It would have been nice if Clonezilla had the facility to encrypt the data itself, but maybe in a future release. ;)

Kind regards,

Francis

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2009-12-31

Yes, maybe in the future :)

Steven.

• David
    David
    2014-05-19

Hi Steven,

any news to this? Would be really cool to keep privacy of some images. For explanation my setup here is:
    NAS for PC backups, I take backups of all user's PCs. Of course anybody could restore my boss's image to his PC and get his data...

Couldn't the output data be packed with eg. LZMA with password?

Thanks
    David

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2014-05-22

Sorry, no. For the past few years we did not implement that. The reason is the image of Clonezilla is actually a directory, not just a file.
    However, I believe actually you can do that with "ecryptfs-utils", which could be used to encrypt a dir. You can have a wrapper program and combine Clonezilla commands (e.g. ocs-sr) to do that.
    Let me know if you successfully write one, and it would be great if you can share that.
    Thanks.

Steven.

• David
    David
    2014-05-23

I can't find a good way to do so.
    Can't we just encrypt every single file with a simple encrypt command / password?

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2014-05-31

It's possible. Just need to find a good and easy one to fit the command which Clonezilla uses, especially the pipeline.
    Patches are welcome.
    Thanks.

Steven.

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2014-06-30

Thanks for providing this idea. We will think about that.

Steven.