256gb usb 3.0 flash drive not detected by current clonezilla

Help
2014-07-23
2014-08-04
  • talkforparts
    talkforparts
    2014-07-23

The current clonezilla software both stable and testing will not detect my 256gb usb 3.0 drive but it will detect several 8gb 2.0 flash drives when selecting a image target. Is there anything I can do to get the 256gb drive to work. The wierd thing is the clonezilla software will show the drive in the source list selection and in the device to device selections. The problem is it wont show it as a target image source in device to image.

If anyone knows how to fix this let me know

• talkforparts
    talkforparts
    2014-07-27

Is there no answer to this? I just want to clarify that clonezilla does find the 256gb usb drive in device to device cloning. Clonezilla will also find the usb 256gb as the source drive in device to image cloning. THe problem is it will not list the 256gb usb as a target home directory for device to image clones. I need this for device to image. I can not do device to device clones with this 256gb usb flash drive.

All my other usb drives are found by clonezilla but they are too small to use. I have a 500gb usb harddrive to also works but I need to use the 256gb usb 3.0 because it is much faster.

Does Clonezilla support usb 3.0 speeds? I am not sure about that. The usb 3.0 flash drive can only be formated to exfat and ntfs. I tried both partitions with the device to image clone and none were found in the home target selection.

Last edit: talkforparts 2014-07-27
  • talkforparts
    talkforparts
    2014-08-02

I fixed the problem myself, It seems that windows format utilities and gparted formated utilities do not format the usb correctly. I downloaded HP USB DISK FORMAT UTILITY from download.com and formated in fat32 and ntfs. Both times clonezilla found the drive in the partimage/home directory.

The problem I have now is the usb 3.0 speeds. I noticed I was getting around 2.4gb/min write speed when using clonezilla. The drive I have usually writes in windows at 70mb/second to 130mb/second. 2.4gb/min is about 40mb/sec

Does clonezilla support usb 3.0 speeds?

Another thing I wanted to know is if Clonezilla will support saving to EXFAT partitions home for image backups?

• Fuchs
    Fuchs
    2014-08-02

Post awaiting moderation.
  • Fuchs
    Fuchs
    2014-08-02

I think you have made a clonezilla image with compression (-z1 or so, and FAT32) and not a disk to disk copy. That can take some time. That is the explanation.
    exFAT is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft, and implementing it requires accepting a very restrictive license.

• talkforparts
      talkforparts
      2014-08-03

No Fuchs, I did not use any compression during imaging.

I can save to a exfat usb drive partition if I use USB storage format tool 5.0 to format it. If I use windows to format the usb to exfat. clonezilla does not find the home partition to save to.

• talkforparts
    talkforparts
    2014-08-04

When clonezilla asked me if I wanted to use compression I said no

Im sure it does use some sort of compression making the image anyways but that is beyond the point.