Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Bad Upgrade?

rick
2014-04-23
2014-05-03
  • rick
    rick
    2014-04-23

We have 2 Ubuntu 12.04 Clonezilla Servers. We run DRBL Clonezilla from stable and I update the servers periodically. I usually do one and test before running the next upgrade.

Today I did an upgrade on the first server and it became inoperable. I am usually able to revert or do purge and fresh install and recover. Today I was not able to do that.

The updates were as follows:
    Clonezilla 3.8.12-drbl1 to 3.9.47-drbl1
    DRBL 2.6.15-drbl1 to 2.7.39-drbl1
    syslinux 2:5.10+drbl-1 to 3:6.03~pre9+drbl-1
    syslinux-common 2:5.10+drbl-1 to 3:6.03~pre9+drbl-1

I had several errors when I ran DRBL4IMP.

There was a error in a perl script that calculates ip address and when I attempted to clone there was an error that com32 file missing vesamenu.c32. It appeared that the new syslinux installed to /usr/lib/SYSLINUX instead of /usr/lib/syslinux.

I tried purging and rolling back to the same packages as the working server but pxe boot still fails with com32 missing vesamenu.c32. With older version of Clonezilla and DRBL, DRBL$IMP appears to work.

I am at the point of cloning the working server to the bad one, if there is no other solution.

• rick
    rick
    2014-04-23

I ended up cloning the second server to the first server and changing names and ip. Now back in business, but not updating or upgrading!

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2014-04-24

So you made that with stable DRBL?
    Or?
    Thanks.

Steven.

• rick
      rick
      2014-04-24

Yes
      Ubuntu 12.04 i386 with stable DRBL. I have been running DRBL Clonezilla for a few years and this is the first time I have had an update/upgrade that I could not get working. I also have a Debian box running Wheezy, but I did not try to update that either.

I need to build a fourth server to serve as a backup. I will try a clean build and see what happens.

Any ideas on what happened to the syslinux package?

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2014-04-24

My testing here for Precise works.
    BTW, you can also give unstable DRBL a try. It's ready for both Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04.

Steven.

• rick
    rick
    2014-04-30

OK. I did a clean install on Debian Wheezy with above version (drbl stable)for testing. I ran into the same issue when I ran drbl4imp related to ipcalc. I finaly tracked it down to the need to reload a perl network module with cpan. After that everything worked. Why this happened all of a sudden I have no idea. I suspect this may be what happened on the 12.04 machine. I will not upgrade them again until I get another server built.

I also did a quick virtualbox install on ubuntu 14.04 and did not see any problems with drbl4imp using drbl unstable

As always, Thanks Steven!

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2014-05-03

:)
    The working drbl version (2.8.21) is now in stable release.
    Enjoy!

Steven.