Dual boot problem

Joe
2014-01-11
2014-08-02
  • Joe
    Joe
    2014-01-11

hi all,

I have a disk with below partition layout.
    1.Partition 1 (Primary) – Boot partition to contain the GRUB boot loader. (sda1 on Oracle Linux)
    2.Partition 2 (Primary) – Oracle Linux system partition. (sda2 on Oracle Linux)
    3.Partition 3 (Primary) – Windows system and boot partition. (C: drive on Windows)
    4.Partition 4 (Extended) –
    a.Partition 5 (Logical) – Data partition for the Oracle Linux system (sda5 on Oracle Linux)
    b.Partition 6 (Logical) - Data partition for the Windows system (D: drive on Windows)

Which option should I use to clone disk to image? And Which option should I use to restore image to disk?

Thanks

• javier
    javier
    2014-07-11

Hi Steven,
    Will that savedisk and restoredisk handle all the dual boot mechanism?
    I have a similar system with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 all working fine and dandy at the moment(after lots of sweat and tears), so here are my questions:
    - If I use savedisk making the image into an external USB HDD, and then replace the hard drive in my machine with a new disk and restoring from the USB HDD, will it boot just as it is now, both windows or Linux?
    - And if I restore in the same internal hard drive, will it clean it all and restore the original setup as when I took the backup? (just in case the system gets messed up, I want to revert to that safe state)

I have read some posts where after restoring the system wont boot..

Thanks in advance,
    Javier

• Steven Shiau
    Steven Shiau
    2014-08-02

• If I use savedisk making the image into an external USB HDD, and then replace the hard drive in my machine with a new disk and restoring from the USB HDD, will it boot just as it is now, both windows or Linux? -> Yes. Unless Clonezilla has some issue to deal with the boot loader.
    • And if I restore in the same internal hard drive, will it clean it all and restore the original setup as when I took the backup? (just in case the system gets messed up, I want to revert to that safe state) -> Yes. This is what Clonezilla for.

Steven.