Got 'im! And thanks to everybody for all the useful, educational
tips, suggestions and pointers.
I focused on 2.29, and have now got a successful build with regexes in
For those that are interested, here is what it took for me to get
clisp 2.29 built and installed on a vanilla Debian Woody, kernel
Make was bombing on the 'manual' portion of the 'all' target, so I got
rid of the 'manual' and also the 'docs' dependencies (just to be safe
- I can always use the Debian clisp-doc pkg). I also removed the
'install-man' and 'install-doc' dependencies on the 'install' target.
It was also necessary to manually fix up the the 'MODULES =3D' line near
the top of the generated Makefile to use some information I found in
Specifically, it seems that 'postgres' (put there by 'configure
--with-module=3Dpostgres') has to be manually changed to either of
postgres632 or postgres642 - I used postgres642, though I haven't
tested it yet (gotta sleep _sometime_). I use Postgres 7.3, but they
are pretty good about maintaining compatibility for a few versions, so
Also, 'bindings', if selected with '--with-module=3Dbindings' should be
altered to 'bindings/libc6' (for my box), or the build fails.
It looks like '--with-module=3Dregexp' actually worked with no tweaking
necessary at all - if I run 'clisp -K full', then '(use-package
"REGEXP")', voila! they are there! The README in the
mybuild-dir/regexp directory mentioned this, and also explains how to
build an image with regexp.o included, though the 'full' image already
seems to have regexp.o.
Thanks again for all your help,
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad
- Jim Horning