Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Assert a variable

Help
Sudlon
2011-06-07
2012-11-23
  • Sudlon
    Sudlon
    2011-06-07

I would like to assert a variable, like so:

(bind temp (create$ this isA test))
    (assert (?temp))

but when doing this it gives me a syntax error. When I change it into the following:

(bind temp (create$ this isA test))
    (assert (bla ?temp))

it does work. Is it possible to assert only the variable and not something else along with it?

The final goal is to read in an RDF file, convert the RDF triples and assert them as triple facts in CLIPS. The thing I'm trying above is a test.

• Sudlon
    Sudlon
    2011-06-07

I just noticed I forgot the question mark in front of "temp" in the bind function (I do have it in my CLISP code). The problem lies with the assert function, that is not able (or seems to be) to assert the variable on its own.

• Sudlon
    Sudlon
    2011-06-07

Ok I still can't assert a bounded variable, BUT I have been able to read a fact file like this:

(deffunction loadKB (?KBfile)
    (open ?KBfile KB)
    (while (bind ?line (readline KB))
    (if (eq ?line EOF) then
    (break)
    )
    (assert-string ?line) ; stupid triple part..
    )
    (close KB)
    )

I still wonder how to assert a bounded variable though.

• Gary Riley
    Gary Riley
    2011-06-07

The first field of an assert must be a symbol. The remaining values can be variables. Use assert-string to bypass this restrictions. Alternately, if you have a file containing facts, just use the load-facts function to assert all the facts in the file.

• Sudlon
    Sudlon
    2011-06-07

Thanks for your quick reply! I know about the load-facts function, the thing is I need to rearrange the contents of the file since they are not stored as facts, but in RDF format.
    I've got the basics working, so now I can focus on getting the translation part working!