2012-11-08
2013-02-03
  • BlueGroper
    BlueGroper
    2012-11-08

<html>
    <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
    <meta content="OpenWebMail 3.00 Beta4 build 620 20111210 rev 620" name="Generator">
    </head>
    <body>
    Hello list

I using Win7 and ClassicShell 3.6.2

Most settings working fine, EXCEPT

I have some personalised Menu shortcuts located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Sub Menu

After clicking at Start, Sub Menu, it takes nearly 15 seconds for Sub Menu items to appear.

This is way too slow for satisfactory daily experience.

I also use MicroSoft Security Essentials.

I have included the following entries in Settings, Excluded files and locations

C:\Program Files\Classic Shell

C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

But still the Classic Shell is too slow.

Any tips or clues for how to fix ?

TIA's

[Edited to include double backslashes for legibility.]

</body>
    </html>

Last edit: BlueGroper 2012-11-08
    • Chris Harris
      Chris Harris
      2012-11-10

I have also noticed this. I am running 3.62, Windows 7 64bit and MSE. The problem seems to happen the first time I access a submenu. The menu just locks up for the initial reading of the items.

Is this a caching issue?

Chris

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-08

Is it possible to temporarily disable MSE to see if it is even related?

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-10

If you are experiencing slow opening of the sub-menus in Classic Shell 3.6.2, please contact me at classicshell@ibeltchev.com. I have a hunch what the problem might be and I want to try a few things.

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-15

The new version 3.6.3 improves the performance of the start menu. Let me know if you still have this problem after you upgrade.

• Ivo, reporting that v3.6.3 does not suffer the Start Button delays on two of my Win7 64-bit systems. For me it's fixed, good work!

• BlueGroper
      BlueGroper
      2013-02-03

Hello Ivo
      I now using 3.6.5 and the slowness problem appears fixed.
      So many thanks.
      Is there some nice way to make all the shortcut icons appear in the custom menu ?
      I'm thinking the icons are not visible because the shortcuts (symlinks?) point to executables located across the lan.
      TIAs'

• streetwolf
    streetwolf
    2012-12-18

Running 3.6.3 under Windows 8 Pro x64.

I have a folder that contains 11 shortcuts to my favorite programs. When CSM is started the first time it takes a couple of seconds for my shortcuts to 'flyout' when I hover on the folder. After this they 'flyout' fast. This is the only folder that does this. Things like Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Programs, Apps, etc all 'flyout' immediately. Any way to avoid this delay when CSM first starts?

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-18

What kind of programs are they?
    Are they on a local machine or on the network?

• streetwolf
      streetwolf
      2012-12-18

They are local on an SSD drive as a matter of fact. The programs are mostly system utilities like CPU-Z, GPU-Z, RealTemp to name a few. I used Customize Start Menu to place the custom folder on the rightmost column of my 2 column menu. Is there an option under Edit Menu Item that would cause my shortcuts to load faster?

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-18

Is it slow only the first time after you log in, or also becomes slow after you haven't used the start menu for a while?

• UPDATE: I've been using version 3.6.3 for a couple of days now, and it is running sweetly with none of those long pauses -- or even short pauses (it opens pretty much instantaneously).

• streetwolf
    streetwolf
    2012-12-18

It's only slow the first time after I start up Windows. From then on, until the next restart/logon, it is slow again the first time.

When I fired up my machine this morning hovering over my folder took about 5 seconds before the menu with my programs appeared.

I wonder if the delay is due to CS grabbing the program icon from the different folders that contain the exes? Perhaps the icons need to be pre-cached in this case.

Last edit: streetwolf 2012-12-18
  • Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-18

The start menu precaches icons from the Start Menu folders and the Control Panel.
    Folders that are manually added to the start menu are not precached. That's because they can be very large - like Computer.

One thing you can do is place that folder somewhere under Programs. You can still have a direct link to it in the main menu.

• streetwolf
    streetwolf
    2012-12-18

Did what you said and no more delay. Do you think an option to cache icons for custom folders is needed?

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-18

No, I don't want to do that. Some of the custom folders can contain a lot of items. There is no way to know in advance before I start caching them.

I am looking into ways to get the menu to open faster even before icons are loaded.