Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Status Bar in Windows 8

Maniac
2012-06-05
2013-09-17
  • Maniac
    Maniac
    2012-06-05

It appears that the Status Bar enhancements do not work in Windows 8 (as noted
    in the Classic Shell documentation somewhere). I find the File Size and Free
    Space information to be very useful - these are one of my main reasons for
    using Classic Shell... are there any plans to make an alternative solution for
    this functionality?

Thanks,
    Maniac

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-06-05

At the moment I don't see a solution to this. There are 2 problems that need
    to be solved:
    1) Detect when the selection changes. I have not found a way to do this
    2) Show the information somewhere. The new status bar is not a standard status
    bar control, and provides no means for adding text to it

• Maniac
    Maniac
    2012-10-19

OK, thank you. I hope you figure out a way. This is functionality I find
    critical for both my personal usage and at work (in particular, having the
    dll/exe version in the status bar is very useful at work).

Also, sorry for the late response. I'm not on Windows 8 yet on my home or work
    PC, so I forgot about this; I was simply trying out one of the previews at the
    time.

• xpclient
    xpclient
    2012-10-20

2) Showing the information somewhere - the title bar can be used to show this.
    But 1) would be a problem if Explorer doesn't provide any notification when
    selection changes. It did in Windows 7/Vista?

• Quake3.exe
    Quake3.exe
    2012-10-31

Just a quick question; since the Status bar doesn't work (yet!) how are you supposed to determine the file size of the Recycle bin? Windows 8 has me stumped.

• thevert
      thevert
      2012-11-13

google "minibin", it's basically a recycle bin icon that goes into the system tray and it'll show you the full size when your mouseover. i just installed windows 8 too and the fact that i can't see free space, etc is terribly annoying.

• Noel Carboni
    Noel Carboni
    2012-11-09

Windows 8 has everyone who's serious about using their computer stumped, Quake3.

-Noel

• PA
    PA
    2012-12-03

I had everything perfectly set up in Windows 7. Why, why, why did I suddenly decide to "upgrade"?!

• xpclient
    xpclient
    2013-09-17

Classic Shellers, if you try the latest beta version of Classic Shell linked from the home page, it now has status bar features of Classic Explorer fully operational on Windows 8!! Ivo found a way out. :)