DisplayFusion? doesnt show theme?

Jcee
2012-11-01
2012-11-15
  • Jcee
    Jcee
    2012-11-01

i made a modded theme, and for some odd reason the theme wont show up on my alternate start menue (display fusion pro).., im guessing its probably incompatibility on their part... the theme i modded mine from works fine on both so its gotta be something i changed @.@, ill look into it more tomorrow, but for now i thought id post and see if you have any ideas what might have caused it?
    http://www.filedropper.com/clasicstart

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-01

There is no chance for a skin from Classic Shell to work with another program. Every software has its own skin format and requirements.

• Jcee
    Jcee
    2012-11-02

the program and the skin DOES work with classic shell.. just not the version of the skin i edited

oh and i think you confused you a bit, display fusion isn't a start menu modifier, but a desktop extender, more focused on the task-bar, wallpaper, and functionality for multiple monitor setups

UPDATE: after some digging it turns out that program DIRECTLY supports classic shell (there's even a folder in its install directory called "classic start menu"), which is why my skin didn't work, i have to copy the skin to both classic shells skin directory and display fusions directory

If you want to check out the program: (its not freeware but does come with a 30 day trial, and its possible you might be able to get a free key)
    http://www.displayfusion.com/Download/

Last edit: Jcee 2012-11-02
  • Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-02

Well, on second thought looks like DisplayFusuion is using a modified version of Classic Shell. While that's certainly allowed (I'm not sure how I feel about them charging money for it, but whatever), it is not supported. You need to contact them for support.

• Jcee
    Jcee
    2012-11-02

already solved and posted above:P

• Jon
    Jon
    2012-11-14

Hey guys, I'm the developer of DisplayFusion, and I just wanted to pop in and address our integration of Classic Shell. We are bundling a modified version of Classic Shell, but are complying with the MIT license which allows for commercial use. We would love to commit some of our changes back to the project to make it easier for 3rd party apps (like DisplayFusion) to use Classic Shell externally. This would mean we wouldn't have to modify Classic Shell, and our users (and yours) would be able to use their existing Classic Shell installations without us having to bundle it. Is this a possibility? Would the project lead accept changes to allow 3rd party app integration? Thanks!

• Jon
    Jon
    2012-11-14

Just wanted to post a quick follow-up on this issue. We've re-worked some of the DisplayFusion code so that we don't need to modify Classic Shell any more. We'll just direct our users to your download page, and once Classic Shell is installed DisplayFusion will integrate with it, no changes needed on your side. :)

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-14

Sorry, I just got this message. The new forum software is sometimes dropping email notifications for new posts.

If you have any code changes you want to contribute, please send them to classicshell@ibeltchev.com.

BTW, The MIT license only covers the source code, and not the assets (skins, icons). I have added a clarification to the license on the FAQ page: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/faq.html#general_free

As for the official build, you are free to distribute it as long as it is for free. Bundling with other software is trickier. It is acceptable if you don't charge more for the bundle than you would have charged without Classic Shell. It is hard to prove and is mostly on the honor system, but you get the idea.

• Jon
    Jon
    2012-11-15

My apologies, I didn't realize it didn't include the assets. We've modified our application to just download your application (unmodified) and DisplayFusion will interoperate with it once it's installed. This way we comply with the license, and everyone can benefit from the excellent work you've done with the Classic Start Menu. Thanks!