Download classic shell, run, allow, nothing happens Win 8

brycej
2012-12-16
2012-12-23
  • brycej
    brycej
    2012-12-16

Running a new Acer netbook with Pentium 4 gigs memory.
    Want to get rid of metro ui.
    When I download classic shell, and open it, I am asked whether to allow it to run. I say yes.
    Then nothing happens.
    I don't whether Acer or MS is disabling it. Right now I am using Pokki but I would rather use Classic Shell. Ideas?

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-16

Are you saying that the installer doesn't run? Or that the program doesn't work after it was installed?

• brycej
    brycej
    2012-12-16

It appears that the installer doesn't even run. I see no indication of it.

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-16

Sometimes Windows (or IE) try to prevent downloads from running. Look for buttons like "more actions", or "run anyway".
    Also it might be a bad download. Try downloading again.

• brycej
    brycej
    2012-12-16

I've tried to use both IE and Firefox for downloads.
    I have done it multiple times.

• Chris Harris
    Chris Harris
    2012-12-16

I had a similar issue. The install would go as normal and then at the actual installing screen with status bar, the program seem to freeze with nothing in the status bar. After a while I killed the install and tried again. Again the install stalled, but this time I just left it and finally continued. All seems OK now.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Harris
    Adelaide
    Australia

• brycej
    brycej
    2012-12-16

I figured it out. I thought I was clicking on something like "ok, run the damn program, don't worry about it being a danger." But it was really "Windows Smart Screen." And if it doesn't know the program, it won't run the program unless you disable it partially or completely. My bad. Win 8 UI bad.

• Walt Connery
      Walt Connery
      2012-12-17

It's a good security feature that was devised for people exactly like you...;) If it doesn't recognize the program it alerts you and waits for your input. You tell it to go ahead and install and it will. You tell it not to install and it won't. Object lesson: READ the little blurbs the OS puts in front of you. They are there for a reason.

It's just one more line of defense between you and getting hacked. Win 8 UI good. User good, too, once user becomes edumacated...:D

• brycej
    brycej
    2012-12-18

Yes, I was stupid for not reading it but it didn't make a difference. But I think there was only a "yes" to block it. Or you could x it out. Which gave the same result. I googled it to find out that I could fix the problem by going to the options screen of Windows SmartScreen.

When I opened up the options to "Windows SmartScreen," I believe there were 3 options. Block everything it didn't know unless you check with an Admin, give you a choice, or leave you alone. I believe the first block was checked. Maybe Acer set it up that way. In Win 7, it makes clear that yes allows the program, not disallows it. Score another way that Win 8 makes things easier. I have been using computers for so long that I know what is likely to be safe and what isn't. In another thread, MS warns users not to use Classic Shell and that it wrecks the registry. I will let the rest of you weigh in on that.

Maybe I am wrong on this. I am not going backwards to check on this.

I think you can get around this by hitting "More Info" initially after it tells you that the program has been blocked.

• bobfrapples
    bobfrapples
    2012-12-22

I tried changing the SmartScreen settings but I still can't get the Classic Shell exe file to install. The more times I click it, the more times I see it in the Task Manager. However, none of them actually take me to any install screen at all. I've tried to run as administrator, but it doesn't give me any screens either. Any other ideas?

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-22

Try saving it, and then open it in Explorer and run it. Log off to clean all running copies first though.

• bobfrapples
    bobfrapples
    2012-12-23

That's how I've been doing it. Thus, I have 5 instances of it running in Task Manager.

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-23

Are you saying you have 5 instances of the installer?

Try extracting the MSI file like this:
    ClassicShellSetup_3_6_3 extract32 (or extract64 if you use 64-bit OS)
    This should create an MSI file in the same directory. Double-click it and see if you get any errors.

BTW, make sure you run this command in a folder that is writable

• bobfrapples
    bobfrapples
    2012-12-23

I renamed the ClassicShellSetup_3_6_3 file by adding extract64 to the end, and it worked now. I don't know if that's what you meant by extracting, but renaming the file worked. Thanks!

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-12-23

That's quite weird. What I was saying is to open a command prompt and then type the command I told you. But if it worked by simply renaming the installer, never mind :)

• bobfrapples
    bobfrapples
    2012-12-23

I figured that what's you meant, but I couldn't figure out where the command prompt is.