Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Shut-down in Win8

dindog
2012-11-04
2012-11-12
  •  dindog
    dindog
    2012-11-04

Not sure is it the same in Win 7.
    I am using classic shell whit Win7 style in Windows 8 x64. It work well and I like it.
    But unlike the original start-menu of Windows 7's shutdown, in Windows 8, it prompt up a dialog instead of shutting down the machine directly, it's deliberate or a bug?

P.S. the submenu of "Shut Down"'s shutdown work fine.

Last edit: dindog 2012-11-04
  • Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-04

Yeah, that's by design. The main Shutdown gives you access to the shutdown dialog, where you can pick additional options. The sub-menu has the individual commands to shut down, restart, sleep, etc.

•  dindog
    dindog
    2012-11-04

would you consider to add option to make the shut down button work exactly the same as Windows 7's one? 99% of the time when I look for the shut down button, I want to shut down the computer

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-04

Actually, you can do this now. You can go to the Customize Start Menu tab in the settings, find the ShutdownBoxItem, double-click on it, and change the command from "shutdown_box" to "shutdown". Also change the text from "$Menu.ShutdownBox" to "$Menu.Shutdown", which will remove the ... from the label. By convention ... in Windows means the command will open a dialog box instead of carrying the operation immediately.

There is currently a bug that doesn't let you use other commands there like "sleep" or "hibernate". Well, you can, but that's going to remove the sub-menu. That's because those commands were never intended to have sub-menus. It's an oversight that will be fixed in the next version. "shutdown" should work even now though.

•  dindog
      dindog
      2012-11-11

Yes, I must have overlooooook that option. Thanks. Now it's perfect.

• dlder
    dlder
    2012-11-07

Man, this program of yours is so cool! Thanks for this info, I was just looking for exactly that!

• Keith Collyer
    Keith Collyer
    2012-11-12

I'm having what seems like the opposite issue. Win8, 32-bit. I cannot get shutdown_box on the menu at all. I used your suggestion above and can get shutdown to work, but not the menu, which is what I really want. The item simply does not appear at all.

Last edit: Keith Collyer 2012-11-12
  • Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-12

Attach your settings XML file and I can look at it.

• Keith Collyer
    Keith Collyer
    2012-11-12

Ok, here it is, thanks

Attachments
  • Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-12

Set the Shutdown setting in the Special Items tab to "Display as a menu".

• Keith Collyer
    Keith Collyer
    2012-11-12

D'oh!
    Thanks!