AVG or Clamwin

2005-09-11
2012-09-05
  • Sorry if this has been asked before:

Can anyone tell me a good reason to dump the freeware app AVG for ClamWin?

• Mike
      Mike
      2005-11-16

I like ClamWin as a backup scanner to scan suspicious files and be extra sure it is safe. I am actually using ClamWin becuase it does NOT have a resident scanner since I want to use it for added security. Also I like ClamWin because I know that the open source code program will scan the entire file rather than just parts of files as some scanning engines do. So I know that I am getting a thorough scan. Also ClamWin is rated high for keeping the Database current, which is critical for extra AV insurance.

• none, AVG does real-time (or scans on-access) files for viruses. ClamWin does not, until they have such features there is no reason to run ClamWIN because most likely youll catch something.

• alch
        alch
        2005-09-12

it depends how you want to use it. If you need a backup scanner or a manual scanner to scan an occasional download and do not want to sacrifice performance for a resident scanner than clamwin is a good choice. However with clamwin you need to be security conscious and scan a suspicious file before opening.

And there are a lot of people who want just that. However on-access scanning will be added to clamwin hopefully this year.

• Stay with AVG. For the reasons all the reasons already given. Some food for thought.

Intel has spent $16 million in acquiring a minority stake in the AVG company Grisoft. Intel is busy with some groundbreaking research in early virus and worm detection. No doubt AVG will benefit from this initiative.

It takes 7.5 hours to run the Clamwin scan on my PC - 2.8 mhz with 512 meg. I am not going to do that every day.

I have had to set my screen saver and monitor power management settings to over 7.5 hours else the scan stops.

7.5 hours to do a scan is madness.

• VolodyA! V A
      VolodyA! V A
      2005-09-15

Hold on, are you saying that clam stops the scan when the monitor switches off?

• Wow, I did not know that clamwin does not do on access scan. I think this should be mentioned prominently somewhere on the clamwin site as well within the clamwin help/documentation. No wonder we have had viruses trooping in ever since we replace mcafee with clamwin.

kk

• It IS mentioned all over the clamwin web pages!

As for the AVG/ClamWin argument... both have their merits. You can speed up ClamWin by altering its archive settings and tweaking its filters a bit. <sarcasm> If your computer is 2.8MHz then I'm surprised clamwin runs as you need a minimum of an 8Mhz 386 to run Windows 95, which is the oldest version of windows clamwin will run on. </sarcasm> In contrast, my old 64MB PII 333 laptop scans 80GB of filestore in 3 hours, and my 2.8GHz desktop does it in an hour. I can't guarantee they're both using exactly the same settings but it gives you a picture.

My recommendation would be stick with AVG but keep ClamWin as a backup - no single AV product on its own will detect all the viruses out there.

• There is a On Access Scanner, but it is developed for the other ClamAV port to windows. Do a search for it.

• Why not just keep both AVG and ClamWin? Use AVG for everyday use and when something doesn't seam right use ClamAv.

AVG has been known to MISS somethings especially recently. I have been using several of these so called "free" anti-virus solutions and I have noticed they all have downsides. I have also been running clamav on a linux server that monitors mail and it has worked very well for many years.

Very nice program. I'll be adding it to my tool-cd.