Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Welcome to Open Discussion

2005-07-08
2013-04-29
  • Welcome to Open Discussion

• Abe
      Abe
      2007-03-01

A friend of mine found Logisim the other day and pointed it out to me - it's fantastic!  I really appreciate its stability and elegant simplicity. 

I teach a Computer Organization class that covers the basics of Digital Logic with the caveat that students never get to physically wire up a circuit.  When I saw Logisim I quickly rewrote one of my assignments to use it (http://www.egr.nau.edu/~ap27/cs200/proj5.html) and I feel like my students are going to get a much better experience out of this segment of the course than they would have otherwise.

A couple of random thoughts:
      - It seems odd that 2-input gates aren't available.  Not a big deal though.
      - Some years ago I used "Dia" to draw resistors and voltage sources while teaching an electrical engineering course.  The program left a bad taste in my mouth because it crashed frequently and it seemed overly hard to align things sometimes.  Logisim does neither.  A lobotomized code branch of Logisim that draws EE parts - never mind any simulation - would be pretty nifty IMO.  Disclaimer: I haven't used Dia for years or investigated that scene recently.

Thanks for the great program and I'll definitely be recommending it to the people I know!

• Carl Burch
      Carl Burch
      2007-04-18

Thanks for the kind words. And I hope it works well in your course; the assignment writeup certainly looks nice.

Two-input gates are a perennial complaint. I imagine that you already figured this out, but I want to mention it because this comes as a shock to people accustomed to using breadboards: If you have a logic gate with multiple inputs, you can just leave some inputs unconnected, and Logisim will ignore those inputs.

You idea of having a library for non-working electrical symbols is an intriguing thought. Others have suggested adding such components, but I've always discarded it since the simulation is completely infeasible given Logisim's architecture; it didn't occur to me that the drawing ability alone has some value. (Incidentally, I think there is an open-source project called QUCS that works on simulating circuits.) I don't see that it would require a branch, though: Logisim currently has an ability to incorporate additional libraries written in Java. And if somebody develops a particularly solid library, I'm open to incorporating it into Logisim as a built-in library.

• John Brown
      John Brown
      2008-03-15

When making sub-circuits, it would be pretty useful if any LEDs or 7 segment displays that were used in the sub-circuit would appear as part of the component symbol.

• John Brown
        John Brown
        2008-03-15

Also, dual-color LEDs would be nice.