Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

need recovery help

Help
Eear
2014-04-01
2014-04-07
  • Eear
    Eear
    2014-04-01

I have a situation. The people at my fathers church failed to properly back up their database, and their church info server got corrupted and was failing to boot. After examining the disk, it became apparent the journal got corrupted. I was able to repair the journal errors to get the drive to boot, but now when I go to the log in page. The browser says internal Server Error 500. The people involved with the data entry have spent several weeks entering the data, and are hoping I can some how salvage it. I've cloned the drive at this state to give me a back up of the salvage, and I'm going to reformat the drive and reinstall the server and church info; however, I'm wondering where the database information gets stored so I can take a look at it and transfer any parts that are not corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edit: Eear 2014-04-01
  • Raymond Burns
    Raymond Burns
    2014-04-01

What OS is this? LAMP installation? MySQL version? Windows Install?

• Luke
    Luke
    2014-04-03

Do you have phpMyAdmin go to <ip_address>/phpMyAdmin than use export feature to get the entire Database. The website itself is just made of static pages so you dont need a "backup" of that.

• Eear
    Eear
    2014-04-03

Raymond, It's Linux, Raspbian to be exact.

Luke, I can get to the root website. So I know the web server it self is functioning, but if I go to the login page that is when I get the error. So I can't access church info through a browser, and thus can not export anything. That is why I'm trying to find the files using the file system. I've browsed through the www folder, but there are a lot of files and with out knowing what is what it's like searching for a needle in a hay stack.

One thought, I have not tried yet, was to try and do something the equivalent of a diff compare using something like meld between a freshly set up system and the cloned copy, but I'm not sure if it would actually give me anything useful. So I figured the best place to start was asking on these forums.

• KAH
    KAH
    2014-04-05

Can you access phpmyadmin? We do not need to access the actual Churchinfo installation, only the database. If you're getting a 500 internal server error accessing the Churchinfo install, that's not a problem. Can you ssh into the server? Send me an e-mail through my profile and I'll do what I can to help you get the database backed up.

• Michael Wilt
    Michael Wilt
    2014-04-07

I have seen a few references that make me worry about file integrity when running Rasbpian. I would definitely recommend setting up a script that backs up the database every night into a different file. With Raspbian I would recommend copying those files out to a different server or perhaps a NAS drive. You can find some information about backups here:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/churchinfo/discussion/401180/thread/4877b2b2/?limit=25#2440

I hope you are able to recover the data. As mentioned above you just need to get MySQL to make a backup of the database. The rest of ChurchInfo can be reinstalled. The only stuff stored outside of the MySQL database is the pictures in the images directory and the bit of configuration information inside Include/Config.php.

Mike

Michael Wilt
    ChurchInfo Team Leader