Chicken wifi vs ethernet

Help
Tom
2012-10-01
2013-01-04
  • Tom
    Tom
    2012-10-01

I'm trying to use Chicken to access two Ubuntu servers from my Mac desktop which is connected to my router by ethernet.  One of the servers is also connected by ehternet and I have goo access.  The other is in another room and connects over my home wifi - and Apple Time Capsule.  I can connect to this machine and see the scene but it is apparently unresponsive (no cursonr movement, can't type in terminal, etc).  But if I type something in the terminal and disconnect and then connect again I see what I've typed.  So it seems I have a one-way connection - from my desktop to the server but not back.  The server with the problem has an assigned DHCP address on the network - 10.0.1.14  It doesn't change and my external IP is also stable.
    Any insights much appreciated.  I've tried NoMachine with this server with the same results.
    Tom

• dustinac
    dustinac
    2012-10-02

This isn't really a Chicken issue and it sounds like there's something wrong with your set-up. It could be a problem with your network, but if Chicken needs to have two-way traffic, so if it's showing you the initial desktop then it's able to both send and receive data. The difference between the keys you type and the images you get back is that the latter take up much more bandwidth, but it shouldn't be anywhere near saturating a wifi connection. You could try changing the sliders in the Performance tab of Preferences to one notch above "Only update manually" which will limit the amount of updates you get. You might also try disabling the Time Capsule since its traffic might be interacting badly with Chicken.

However, my best guess is that it's not actually the network but the VNC server on the Ubuntu computer. The way a VNC server works is that it monitors the display for changes and then sends those out over the network. If somehow the display system on the Ubuntu computer is getting pixels to the screen without the VNC server software noticing, then you would never see updates to the screen after the first connection. I don't use Ubuntu so I'm not sure if this is the problem, but try playing around with different VNC server programs and window manager to see if that makes a difference.

• Tom
    Tom
    2012-10-02

Thanks for the reply - I'll continue to experiment.  Meanwhile I can just run upstairs if I really need access.  It's an interesting problem and I have a feeling that when I solve it the solution will be pretty simple.  BTW, the "Time Capsule" I mention is my router AND a backup drive. 
    Since Chicken works so well with the machine on the network that is ethernet connected, I have a feeling that it must have something to do with wifi and with the internet route to that machine.