Menu

Support for MSP430

2008-04-02
2013-04-06
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

in the last days I searched the internet for a small processor and a cheap development system. I found the eZ430-F2013 development system from TI and base of the MSP430F2013. Having that in mind, I searched for some good basic software.

Your software looks interesting and I read in the readme, that there are some plans on a MSP430 port. Can you give me some more information about that. It's not sure, if I can contribute something. I'm basically interesting.

/piet

• Giovanni Di Sirio

Hello,

I am currently working on the Cortex-M3 port but the MSP430 will be the next one for sure, it is an interesting small processor.
      The problem is that I don't have any hardware yet so probably I will initially include an "untested" port.
      You can surely contribute by testing it on real hardware, reporting any problem or giving suggestions for the port on that architecture, code contributions are welcome too.

Giovanni

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2008-04-03

Hi,

thanks for you answer. That sounds interesting. I will think about it and see, if I can help. If I have to choose a target, I would choose the eZ430-F2013 evaluation board from TI. It's equipped with an MSP430F2013 controller. From the datasheet I read, thar it has 2 KiB FLASH / 128 Bytes RAM. My hope would be to have a minimal system fitting into 1 KiB FLASH / 64 Bytes RAM. The feature set have to be defined.

Does that have a chance to work at all? Another option is the eZ430-RF2500T evaluation board, which contains a MSP430F2274 with 32 KiB FLASH / 1 KiB RAM. But I'm not sure, when this would be available in Germany.

/piet

• Giovanni Di Sirio

It would probably fit into 1KiB flash and 64B RAM but you would not have much resources left for your application, the problem is that each thread requires its own stack and that takes some RAM. I don't see problems with the 32KiB/1KiB device.

I will be able to give more precise numbers after the initial phase of the port but I would consider at least 64B for each thread in the system added to the system idle thread.

• Giovanni Di Sirio

Just a note on this topic.

The MSP430 port is almost ready and will be included in 0.6.4, it will be untested however because I don't have any working hardware yet.
        It compiles just fine and I don't foresee any problem, it is a very simple and clean architecture.