Error: 401 Unauthorised

Help
2009-09-21
2013-04-29
1 2 3 .. 7 > >> (Page 1 of 7)
  • Brian D. Wendt
    Brian D. Wendt
    2009-09-21

I realized this has come up before, but I'm using version 1.13svn with Ubuntu 9.04, and have been getting the "Error: Incorrect Username or Password" popup consistently for the last week.  Did Google make some changes that haven't yet been reflected in CheckGmail?

• Owen Marshall
    Owen Marshall
    2009-09-22

Yes, it seems that some accounts are now using a new login process.  It hasn't happened to any of my accounts yet, so it's currently impossible for me to fix, but I'm hoping that they'll be changed over soon.

In the meantime, you can use

checkgmail -no_cookies

to get a stripped-back version of the notifier that will still work (but which won't have a full-text preview, mark-as-read, etc)

Sorry I can't be more help at the moment; I'll post again when this is fixed.

Cheers,
    Owen

• Brian D. Wendt
    Brian D. Wendt
    2009-09-22

Cool, that worked, thanks Owen.  Checkgmail is one of my favorite little programs - practically indispensable.  Thanks for supporting it!

• warda bamby
    warda bamby
    2009-09-23

Thanks allot , It worked for me , Hope to hear about the fix sooon

• Tong Sun
    Tong Sun
    2009-09-24

started to bite me today.

-no_cookies works, but clicking on the minimized icon can't bring me into my gmail directly anymore.

hope the fix can be available soon.

thanks

• ferossan
    ferossan
    2009-09-24

Well, now I'm part of the selected club too. I'm getting the "Error: Incorrect Username or Password" popup window.
    Solved by:
    checkgmail -no_cookies
    Sorry Owen wishing this happens to you soon too :-)
    Saludos!

• Garret
    Garret
    2009-09-25

I temporarily fixed the problem as owenjm suggested, but I wanna ask him how can I be informed about new fixes.
    I mean, will you publish a new svn revision or a new stable version?

• c0m4
    c0m4
    2009-09-27

same here :) , I love this app, a fix would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Owen Marshall
    Owen Marshall
    2009-09-28

There'll be a fix in SVN first - when this happens you'll be able to get this easily by running

checkgmail -update

and there'll be a stable release eventually.  It still hasn't happened to me, though, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to fix it.

As far as notifying you when the fix is available, I'll post a note in this thread, a note on the webpage and send out a message to the checkgmail-announce list.

Cheers,
    Owen

• chrisamiller
    chrisamiller
    2009-09-29

Let's find out if it's account-specific.  I created a new gmail account with the following credentials:

u: geemailcheck@gmail.com
    p: gmailcheck

When I try to log in with these credentials using checkgmail, I get the 401 error. Through the web interface, it works fine. Owen, can you replicate this using this account on your machine?

• Owen Marshall
    Owen Marshall
    2009-09-29

Thanks, Chris - that account replicates the bug well enough.  Unfortunately, fixing it is looking more difficult than I expected - from a first glance, it looks as though Google has made the login explicitly dependent upon the javascript in the login page. I can't seem to get a "fake" login working at the moment at all - google immediately complains that my cookie functionality is turned off :(

I'll keep you informed if I get any further with it …

*curses google*

Owen

• Cedric Schieli
    Cedric Schieli
    2009-09-29

I'm impacted too, but only on one computer out of three !!! (using the same account)
    They're all running up-to-date Ubuntu 9.04, but the failing one is not connected through the same ISP.

• Huckle Berry
    Huckle Berry
    2009-09-29

I am seeing similar results to schieli, using the test account above.

sudo checkgmail -profile=gtest

seems to fuction correctly for me. Currently: CheckGmail v1.13svn (slightly altered, but only for hosted domains)<br>
    Is it possible that google is filtering based on different versions of perl's useragent string? My version of LWP::UserAgent is 5.819.

• Owen Marshall
    Owen Marshall
    2009-09-29

Ok, this really is strange - from my work account yesterday, using my windows port, I couldn't login to the test account.  But at home, using a pretty plain Ubuntu Intrepid system, the test account works fine.  I'm not sure exactly why, since none of the perl modules are particularly new.  (I'm using versions 5.810 of LWP::UserAgent and 5.811 of HTTP::Request::Common …)  Nor do I need to run as root or anything like that.

I'll investigate further … but can the people who *are* seeing the problem with the geemailcheck test account list their version numbers, by running (from the commandline):

perl -MLWP::UserAgent -e 'print "LWP::UserAgent = $LWP::UserAgent::VERSION\n"'
        perl -MHTTP::Request::Common -e 'print "HTTP::Request::Common = $HTTP::Request::Common::VERSION\n"'

Thanks,
    <br>Owen

• Brett Haddock
    Brett Haddock
    2009-09-29

I'm having trouble on a basic Ubuntu install. Here's my versions:

LWP::UserAgent = 5.819
    HTTP::Request::Common = 5.817

I use a regular gmail as well as a couple domains and all of them are not working. The -no_cookies option does not work for domains.

• chrisamiller
    chrisamiller
    2009-09-29

**Work computer:** <br />
    Linux 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu x86_64 GNU/Linux<br />
    LWP::UserAgent = 5.819<br />
    HTTP::Request::Common = 5.817<br />
    <br />
    **Home Computer:**<br />
    Linux eva 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu i686 GNU/Linux<br />
    LWP::UserAgent = 5.832<br />
    HTTP::Request::Common = 5.824<br />
    <br/>
    Neither can access the test account.

• Owen Marshall
    Owen Marshall
    2009-09-29

Ok, forget that one.  I've just upgraded to the latest libwww-perl (versions 5.832 and 5.824 of LWP::UserAgent and HTTP::Request::Common) and I can still access the account.

I'm feeling a bit stumped here!

Owen

• ferossan
    ferossan
    2009-09-29

Here mines:

'LWP::UserAgent
    = 5.819

HTTP::Request::Common
    = 5.817

• pasqal
    pasqal
    2009-09-30

Here are mines, and I am experiencing the problem, both with my own account and with the geemailcheck test account :
    LWP::UserAgent = 5.832
    HTTP::Request::Common = 5.824

• Owen Marshall
    Owen Marshall
    2009-09-30

Just to reiterate - there's no need to keep posting version numbers.  That's clearly not the issue, since it's affecting both old and new versions alike.  (I thought there might be a bug in cookie collection in recent versions of LWP, but that's not the case - I've since upgraded to the lastest versions and can still access the test account fine).

I'm really puzzled by this - it's not making any sense to me at all, especially when people report that with two identical installs of Ubuntu, one install can and one install cannot access the same account!

Owen

• Simon B
    Simon B
    2009-09-30

Strangely, my checkgmail has been working OK 24x7 since i last booted on Sep 18th. When i restarted the machine this morning for some virtualbox upgrade, the 401 error came up. So while the old version was still running, i experienced no issues!

• Mine works at home, but not in work…. very strange!

Love checkgmail, its brilliant…. hope its sorted soon.

• Alik
    Alik
    2009-09-30

Same here.

Works @ home and
    NOT @ work.

@ home I have a Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit - working

@ work I have a Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit - NOT working.

• Owen Marshall
    Owen Marshall
    2009-09-30

Ok … this gets even freakier.  I just had both the test account and my own gmail account fail to login tonight (just as I'd previously seen at work: with the -v flag the only cookie saved is a GALX cookie).  Email still worked fine in a browser, and no other issues with the net.

BUT … I then reset the DSL connection at my modem, and now both accounts work fine.  I'll see if this happens again … but maybe if you're experiencing this issue you might want to try power-cycling your modem.  Sounds stupid, and I can't really believe that this is the cause of the problem, but … !!

Also, considering the above reports of working/non-working setups, is anyone experiencing this issue on a 32 bit system?

• c0m4
    c0m4
    2009-09-30

(32 bit system) I can confirm, my account didn't work until 2 min ago, it started working right after i have rebooted my DSL modem (!?!?)

1 2 3 .. 7 > >> (Page 1 of 7)