Invalid Discovery header

Kusis
2008-01-04
2013-05-02
  • Kusis
    Kusis
    2008-01-04

I checked the differences in the dicovery headers of the Intel Light device and the Cyperlink Demo Light device. Basically the only main difference is that some of the header tags are written in Lower case. I checked this with the UPnP specification and there it is clearly written that the header tags are case sensitive and all of them are defined upper case. Is this a bug in Cyperlink?

• Stefano Lenzi
      Stefano Lenzi
      2008-01-04

Would you mind to quote the section of the UPnP Specification which states that SSDP Header name is case-sensitive?

If you're right that's a bug that will be fixed :)

Ciao,
      Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

• Kusis
      Kusis
      2008-01-05

Sure, no problem. I found this in the following document: UPnP-DeviceArchitecture-v1.0.pdf

In section 1.2 there is the following sentence just before the explanation of each header element:
      "Listed below are details for the request line and headers appearing in the listing above. All header values are case sensitive except where noted."

If you agree about that I'll open a BugReport.

Thanks
      Markus

• Stefano Lenzi
      Stefano Lenzi
      2008-01-09

Hi Markus,

I will try to ask to the UPnP Forum for further clarification, because considering that SSDP is "transported" (or extension) by HTTP and HTTP uses case-insensitive header name but case-sensitive header value I think that the quoted sentence refers only to the value part of the header line( the part of the line following the colon character ':' ).

Follow some example for clarification:

Example A - Header-line are equal
      HOST: www.upnp.org
      Host: www.upnp.org

Example B - Header-line are different
      Host: www.upnp.org
      Host: WWW.upnp.org

Example C - Header-line are different they differ only in value
      HOST: www.upnp.org
      host: WWW.upnp.org

Ciao,
      Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

• Stefano Lenzi
      Stefano Lenzi
      2008-01-10

Hi Markus,

I had a chance to ask to UPnP Forum and they confirmed my thought :) So all the example that I post you in my previous message were correct!

So there is no reason to open a Bug because the SSDP Header generated by Cyberlink are complaint to the UPnP Specification

Ciao,
      Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

• Hi Kusis, Stefano,

I ask to UPnP forum here the answer.

--------- answer ------
      The answer to your question is YES. Within HTTP (and SSDP) headers, the field-name IS NOT case-sensitive, but the field-value IS case-sensitive.

-- Toby

Toby Nixon  |  Senior Standards Program Manager  |  Windows Device Platform Group  |  Microsoft Corporation
      toby.nixon@microsoft.com  |  www.microsoft.com/rally  | V: +1 425 706 2792  |  M: +1 206 790 6377  |  F: +1 425 708 4811

-----Original Message-----
      From: owner-upnpworld@forum.upnp.org [mailto:owner-upnpworld@forum.upnp.org] On Behalf Of Francesco Furfari
      Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:54 PM
      To: UPNPWORLD@FORUM.UPNP.ORG
      Subject: Question about case sensitive headers

Dear all,

the UPnP-DeviceArchitecture-v1.0 in the section 1.2 (Discovery: Search)
      pg. 19 states:

"Listed below are details for the request line and headers appearing in
      the listing above. All header values are case sensitive except where noted."

Considering an header as:
      header = field-name ":" [ field-value ]

Does the quoted *all header values* refer to the field-value?

In other words are the following headers

ST: ssdp:all

and

st: ssdp:all

both legal?

Thanks in advance,
      francesco