UPnP Server Connection Basic tutorial

2010-06-14
2013-05-02
  • MrMMatricks
    MrMMatricks
    2010-06-14

Hi!

Maybe i'm blind but i can't find a simple example how to connect to a UPnP server.
    All i'm looking for is a code to list all songs in it's library. Later on i want to stream a song. But for the moment i would be happy to see code to connect to a server and simply list all songs. Or is that way harder than i think at the moment?

Java preferred, but any other language would do.

thanks!
    MrM

• razvanc
    razvanc
    2010-06-14

There are two different UPNP devices. One is a content server and the other something else, I don't remember - see the upnp A/V specification.

Anyways, here's some very messy test code of mine, in Scala and Java - look at the bottom. It basically finds a TVersity server in my home network and starts browsing its content.

http://github.com/razie/razupnp/blob/master/src/razie/upnp/UpnpInventory.scala

Sorry about the mess - I left it in testing stage and I don't know when I'll come back to it.

• razvanc
    razvanc
    2010-06-14

I looked at it and remembered what's going on. The relevant piece of code is this:

def Browse(ObjectId: String , BrowseFlag:String, StartingIndex:String, RequestedCount:String) = {
          val directory = actual.services.filter (_.serviceType == "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1").head
          val action = directory.actions.filter (_.name == "Browse").head
          action.inArgs.setAttr("ObjectID", ObjectId, "BrowseFlag", BrowseFlag, "StartingIndex", StartingIndex, "RequestedCount", RequestedCount)  
          action.execute
          val aa = action.outArgs
          action
       }

in the device, you'll find services and they have actions - all from cyber link's library - I had some Scala wrappers to make it easy. Find the "Browse" action and just invoke it…

• MrMMatricks
    MrMMatricks
    2010-06-15

Hi!

Didn't know Scala until now :]

This code is perfectly what i was looking for! Thanks! Works like a charm.

Now i only have to find out why my XBMC just shows a empty library (Does the same in all other UPnP controlpoints except the XBMC remote).

Thanks a lot!
    MrM

• MrMMatricks
    MrMMatricks
    2010-06-21

Ok!

Connection & Browsing works perfectly now!
    Anyone a tutorial how to get streaming kicking in? I just need audio streaming. Do i need to set up my own MediaRenderer Device for that or is it possible without (i don't need to remote remote control it etc.)?

Thanks
    MrM